Saturday 23 January 2021

Six on Saturday - Signs of spring

 Time again to gather together and share our weekly six things from our gardens.  Jon blogs as The Propagator, but this he is also turning into a 'runner' not of strawberries but miles.

After days of rain brought on by the latest storm Christoph, yesterday was sunny, and although no great task was accomplished, I took delight in the garden.

(1) Stepping out from our back door, the three oriental pots in which the deciduous small fern are quietly resting,  the soft green cushiony moss caught my eye.  Needing as much cool shade as they can get, these pots remain here except for a few days when their fronds start to uncurl, when I may move them onto the 'blue table' or the shed shelf, where I can see them from the kitchen window.


This is the  narrow alley leading to the garden

'
(2) In the pouring rain the closest Kitchen Herb', except it is no herb but a shrub, is my pot of Bay, also a major ant nest....


(3)  The sun has coaxed open the first crocus: Crocus chrysanthus Snowbunting.



(4) Lady Beatrice Stanley is a pretty double snowdrop, and a cherished present from gardening friend Anna. I have only a few specials and this is a one that is starting to bulk up. Anna suggested I might like to listen to last week's Radio 4 programme on snowdrops.  I enjoyed listening to Open Country this week, in which Alan Street from Avon Bulbs described his passion for snowdrops and discovering new forms. I don't know how long the link will last, but it is worth sharing this with you.





(5)Frost warning the natural way.  I can check the outside thermometer, via the base station, but it is much more fun to peer out at Iris Jane Phillips.  At the first hard frost she bowed down completely, but within a short time as the sun coaxed up the temperatures, she soon perked up. Jane Phillips has curtsied several times this winter.


(6) An hour of so in the sun is good for everyone 


I was moving around mindfully, and thought to move some leaves, luckily I was wearing gloves, and only using slow gentle movements, as I thought there may be snowdrops hidden below. The dome of leaves was a covering for a hibernating hedgehog. She made her own bed in between the plants and the stone wall, and to think some of the neighbours have set up Hedgehog houses, I shall have to share this on our WhatsApp group.


It looks as if we are to have snow tomorrow. Delicates have been brought into the conservatory.


 

17 comments:

  1. I love your description of the irises and their curtseying to the cold weather. How lovely to have a hedgehog hibernating in your garden. We have them running around in the summer at night squealing but I can't find any evidence of them actually living in the garden and I don't tidy away leaves or things like that. There should be fewer snails and slugs later on in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall listen out to see if they create a rumpus in a few months time.

      Delete
  2. I think we are all beginning to notice little hints of spring,it makes gardening more pleasurable and rewarding. That moss is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane is a good weather presenter! I didn't know about the irises but I'll take a look at mine πŸ˜‚πŸ‘πŸ»

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've discovered hedgehogs under a pile of leaves a couple of years ago, and then quietly retreated hoping I hadn't woken it. I also almost disturbed one under the potting shed under the bench. Last year they were in the pile of leaves stacked to make leaf mould, so managed to make it through the winter undisturbed by me.
    I wonder whether they do really use hedgehog houses?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall have to aske the neighbours, but I am sure they have found some other cosy corner in your garden this year.

      Delete
  5. My Euphorbia mellifera performs the same function as your iris. I draw the curtains and instantly know how cold it's been overnight. It sometimes looks like it's a goner but always recovers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first time I saw it, I thought I had lost them, and its recovery was a relief.

      Delete
  6. How wonderful to have a hedgehog in your garden. We don't have them in Australia, but we did in NZ where I was born, and I always got a thrill from seeing them as a child.
    Your snowdrops are pretty with the cyclamen flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane, I love to have some flowers during the darkest months.

      Delete
  7. I was particularly interested to see the hedgehog's choice of bedroom, Noelle, and how few bedclothes there were...but I guess they know what they are doing. 'Ours' is still coming for food but I don't know where he/she bunks down during the day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes its simply fine to just imagine what they have their own secret lives, and we don't have to know exactly what they are up to. Last year the hedgehog was a few feet away. She has a lot of slow to rot down leaves from the overhead Holm Oak leaves, to make up her bed.

      Delete
  8. Oh what fabulous little hummock of moss Noelle. How exciting to see a crocus in flower yet. None here showing colour so far but I spotted a little iris reticula in flower on Friday πŸ˜„ I wonder if you had snow. More here yesterday and today. Email on its way to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a sprinkling Saturday night, only enough to make me think twice about going out. I didn't want to risk slipping on the pavement down our moderate hill. It did make the garden look pretty for the short time it lasted. Maybe you will show a picture on your blog soon.

      Delete
  9. Pretty moss and I am jealous of your Bay tree. I eat mine too fast and they never grow up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me smile, sounds like you need a second 'decorative' one.

      Delete