Monday 2 August 2021

In a Vase on Monday - First one for August 2021

 After heat and sunshine, rain and comfortable temperatures offer a welcome contrast.  



Gentle muted shadows in natural light help to give this arrangement a contemplative feel. 

Scabiosa caucasica 'Perfecta Alba' whose flowers dance on the end of very long stems, so long that when I had to cut them, I added them to the vase to add a strong vertical effect again the one fern leaf.  


The fern leaf is from Polypodium vulgare, a native fern, growing on the ground in a shady corner in the garden. I bought this plant when I lived in the Midlands, little knowing then that I would move to a part of the country where they grow wild often on trees in valley bottoms where the humidity is high.




The third element is made up of a few stems of a dwarf alpine species brought back from the Himalayan region by the reknown gardener and collector Edward Needham.  Jim who is one of our Six on Saturday contributors kindly sent me seed. Persicaria runcinata Needham's Form died down during the winter, and grew back well this spring. The shape of the lobed leaves and its red stems, with the tiniest of pink flowers makes a pretty ground cover in a shady area.


As usual I'm joining in with Cathy as she posts a vase from her garden. 

6 comments:

  1. Calming and peaceful effect in your vase today. The scabiosa is perfect indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The shape of the vase is perfect for the stems of scabious and fern - and I am most intrigued by the little persicaria

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy the rain and the cooler temperatures. I can only imagine ferns (and moss) growing in trees - it's lovely! Your white Scabiosa has resisted efforts to grow it here too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is very Zen. I think ferns are calming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely scabious Noelle and the fern too 😄 It never ceases to amaze me to see plants growing on trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful trio Noelle. Lovely in the tall vase.

    ReplyDelete