Saturday 21 August 2021

Six on Saturday - 21 August 2021

Poor light conditions and lack of sunshine generally with rain on and off this week is so unlike Augusts we have had in the past.  Mustn't carp on, and I shall just get one with a hasty Six this week:

1. Cuttings: here are a couple of varieties of geranium.  This time of the year they root easily and continuing with plants in smaller pots is an easy way of keeping them until next March when they can be potted on.


2.  I cycled past a nice display of potted up plants earlier this week and a young budding gardener was delighted when I bought this marigold which she had grown on her mother's allotment, then placed in a pot.  You have to encourage them.  Just 60p a bargain! And I asked if they needed any pots for next year: now I know where to take all my pots, and she even asked what I would charge her for them.  A budding business woman too!  I said 'free'! Good job I have some decent panniers on my bicycle. I've noticed more marigolds being planted even in 'posh' places like the Newt.  Do you think they are coming back into favour?


3. Yes this is a pink!  more like shredded silk than cut with 'pinking shears'.  This is Dianthus superbus which when it has rained just looked like a curly headed beauty freshly out of the shower, but as the petals dry they fluff out nicely. When the sun returns the garden will be effused with its perfume.


5. Tall and pretty purple flowered Thalictrum delavayi. A little sparse this year in the size of its flowers spikes.  



6. Pink firework display courtesy of  Allium carinatum  subs pulchellum . I made a bouquet including these to take to a gathering of our WI gardening club, and one person said they really wanted this one. I teased them with seed and a promise of flowers in three to four years.  Now that is mean: I shall divide a clump and should Maggie choose to increase her own stock she will be able to save her own seed next year.



and smaller blue ones too by Allium Sikkimense added this year to the gravel garden.  I showed this to the Alpine Garden Society Facebook page, and found out that" flowering now it's beesianum, May/June sikkimense.   this clone produces plantlets rather than seed, so very easy to propagate."

I has split it when I first got it as just one clump, and hope that each little piece expands.  We shall see!

13 comments:

  1. With trepidation I am going to try again to comment. Lovely marigold story, as you say, all encouragement is a boom. I really like them but I seem to lose most to the slugs and snails. I've got some calendula coming on (late sowing then ignored) which are less tasty. Adore the shaggy dog dianthus and the thalictrum and the alliums, in fact I love the lot! Have fun Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip on slugs and marigolds. Murder by torchlight tonight?

      Delete
  2. I really like the messy Dianthus superbus and the Thalictrum in your post this weekend. (You will need to make a small change to the title of your post... We are August 21, not the 20th. 😅)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred...now updated. You saw through my error knowing that I was started the writing yesterdat!

      Delete
  3. That is a striking marigold. My mum gave me a yellow variety a few years ago and I keep meaning to grow some myself and forget.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Marigolds are coming back into favour - I think they're great. Like Gill says, sometimes you have to be careful with slugs, but I find once the establish themselves they do fine.

    I like the Allium sikkimense - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A similar week weather wise here where it has been raining all day. Better days promised for next week 😄 I like marigolds but not keen on the scent of their leaves. What do you do with your geranium cuttings in the winter Noelle ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I have no greenhouse, they stay outside until late autumn, then I bring them out of the rain either in the shed by the window, or in the conservatory where there is plenty of light. We keep the heater on overnight set at about 7C. Otherwise they come in and get placed on a spare room windowsill.

      Delete
  6. I grew Dianthus superbus from seed last year and they took til this July to flower and have almost no scent, massive disappointment. Allium carinatum is very nice, and flowering late too, could find its way onto my bulb list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll harvest some seed later of the Allium if you say you would like some. My Dianthus filled the garden with scent, but so far this year with all the rain nothing. It takes a couple of days of back to back dry and sunshine to bring out the scent. Should we get this whilst the flowers are out I shall report back.

      Delete
  7. Thank you, that's a timely reminder about the geranium cuttings. Your little blue allium is very choice. I haven't seen it before.
    Your question about the marigold is one that always fascinates me. How do plants go in and out of fashion and what is it about the zeitgeist that makes them do so? Perhaps there is a (welcome) move away from brought in bedding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've updated the name of the Allium as it appears there are two blue variaties which flower at slightly different times.

      Delete