Monday 30 August 2021

In a Vase on Monday - End of August 21

I was gardening yesterday for most of my free time, and will probably be doing the same again today.  We are on heavy clay and I remember from previous years now given a few rainfalls in September, by the time one gets round to doing my editing tasks, the soil is dreadful to work on and not that hospitable for plants to get established before the Winter.  I was going to cut back the Teucrium hircanicum and noticed how attractive the long flowering stems were even though they are mostly at the seed head stage.  They formed the basis for my arrangement today.


Centre is a large head of a mophead Hydrangea with a few stems of  Origanum laevigatum  Herrenhausen at the back, and some pale pink frilly Dianthus superbus. 

It is some time since I posted about the books I am reading.  I've just finished a sensational thriller set in Cambridge and Antarctica.  Some good twists, and great atmosphere. This was our recent WI reading group books.  It has been renewed so that Mr S can read it, and a few pages in, last night he commented on how well it is written.  I've not read any of Sharon Bolton's novel before, and I shall be looking out for more books by this author.


For us in England it is late August Bank Holiday.  Usually we see our family about this time of the year, sadly this is not possible but I had a nice call with my son yesterday.

10 comments:

  1. A lovely presentation. My Hydrangeas are nearly dried up. Good for you for keeping up with garden duties. I'm using our hot, dry weather as an excuse to stay indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right to avoid getting too hot, I do too. We have had a number of gentle autumn days perfect for being outside.

      Delete
  2. Oh I must sow teucrium again - I had forgotten how prettythe blooms are. MIne probably only lasted 2 or 3 years - how about yours? - although I think I suspected them to self seed. Your wayward stems look really striking with the hydrangea head and the origanum and dianthus. I am really pleased that after sulking for a couple of years my orianum is doing well and I noticed today there were blooms on the dianthus that you sent me cuttings of - hurrah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shall I see if I can collect some seed from you? It came originally as a seedling from Alison. And yes they do self seed, but very easy to remove. Origanums can have on and off years, and I find refreshing them ie dividing and moving every two to three years keeps them vibrant and healthy.

      Delete
  3. Nice fall pinks! Is that a culinary oregano with pink flowers? The book sounds interesting - going to see if my library has anything by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Origanum laevigatum Herrenhausen is a decorative plant and absolutely the top bee venue at present. Hope you get to read one of Sharon Bolton's books soon.

      Delete
  4. Oh such a soft and gentle arrangement Noelle. Glad that you've had the chance to spend some of the bank holiday weekend in the garden. Have missed your book posts. I've not heard of Sharon Bolton so must look her up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Teucrium in general, although T. hircanicum isn't one I've seen before. Best wishes with your early start on garden editing and replanting. I'm itching to get started on those activities myself but it's still too warm to do much of the heavy work I have in front of me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh what fun! Your teucrium has grown into much more interesting shapes than mine. Can I ask whether you grew your origanum and dianthus from seed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The origanum was bought by a grower at a Special Plants Fair. It divides well. For my origanum collection, as I have quite a few origanums they would be open pollinated and would not come true. The Dianthus was grown from seed which I saved from one plant given to me by Alison several years ago. I'll post about it a little more on the next Six on Saturday.

      Delete