Monday 8 August 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Icebergs may be melting

 It feels as if icebergs may be melting. It certainly is getting too hot for my Iceberg Rose, and to avoid the problem of dead heading daily, I have decided each day to cut the flowers in close bud.  They soon open in the heat.  Joining them this week are some Cosmos, a couple of varieties of the Marjoram which are bee and butterfly magnets in the garden.


The cosmos were plants gifted earlier this year from one of our WI gardening group whose 'super power' is seed growing, and the petals of 'Sea Shells'.  The others are less 'sea shell' shaped but still really lovely. However they do need water,  and some of the plants in facing west into the strong afternoon sun may need to be sacrificed. Except for a brief shower last Wednesday we have had no rain for a very long time.


I bring out my little glass Ngwenya rhinoceros to pose in the pictures as a sign it is really hot weather.  This was a lovely gift from my SA friend Diana many years ago. 




When I came to dismantle last weeks arrangement, the apple mint had starting to sprout roots as had the Sedum Autumn Joy.  As Joy is doing very well in the garden despite no rain, a couple of extra plants in the garden are to be welcomed. The ivy too is recycled from previous arrangements.

Cathy who hosts this weekly In a Vase on Monday is going tangerine, or maybe not totally this week.

5 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the sea shells cosmos! Wishing you gentle rains this week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Iceberg' is a beauty Noelle - we had one in our last garden. Glad to hear that you've had a brief encounter but I'm sure that your garden and you are desperate for more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's really pretty, Noelle, with such soft colours. I had a free packet of the Seashells from GW but already had my cosmos seeds sown but will perhaps sow them next year. Marjoram flowers are really pretty, aren't they? I always enjoy seeing your rhinoceros, Noelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately, the icebergs really are melting - and all too quickly - but your arrangement is refreshingly cool and lovely, Noelle. I wish I had an 'Iceberg' rose, which is surely the toughest rose around, even in Southern California. Unfortunately, roses aren't too happy in my garden these days, although I do have a Dahlia 'Iceberg' (which seems to dislike air conditioning even more than heat).

    ReplyDelete
  5. You pretty bunch, with its cool colour palette is the perfect antidote to your hot weather, Noelle. The marjoram lends an airy quality to your arrangement.

    ReplyDelete