Saturday 13 August 2022

'Postcards' from Mauritius

Better than postcards from Mauritius, as they take no time at all, and offer the possibility of questions and requests, I've been receiving pictures, notes, and videos from my sister.  I asked for and received this lovely picture of one of my favourite coastal trees.



"The Heliotropium foertherianum, also known as Veloutier Blanc, is one of the last endemic trees left in Mauritius. It grows at the limit of sandy beaches."

Looking through these trees towards to the paler blue of the lagoon, and beyond to the reef with its continuous sound of large waves smashing themselves against the coral, to sky scapes often tinged with wonderful colours of the setting sun is one of my fond memories. The shape of their branching trunks and leaf canopy often shaped by wind and salt spray add an elegance to the shore line.

No comments:

Post a Comment