Saturday 20 August 2022

Six on Saturday - In Search of Blooms

 A couple of hours or so of rain earlier in week very soon evaporated, at least it made it more comfortable for the slugs for a day, now it is back to the normal routine of watching the weather forecast promise rain, but none falling here.  By now most readers will know that I write these weekly bulletins headed by Jon the Propagator for they are the best way of reminding myself of what went on in the garden, with pictures, which I can search later with the clever search facility, and also remind myself that some years plants worked very well, and the need to look forward with hope to another year. If these help you see what plants you may be interested in and how they look in a 'real' not a show garden, then I am also very happy.  I have learnt so much by reading other such posts on other people's blogs.

Let's stay positive and hopeful and appreciate the few flowers that are surviving for our Six on Saturday this week.

1.  Catch these shooting stars. 


Allium carinatum  subs pulchellum


I've been catching the seeds of these Alliums each year, and gradually increasing the little clumps throughout the garden.  Even the ones where the foliage dried out in the drought have flowers opening.


2. The taller Origanum laevigatum  Herrenhausen again now in several clumps is a magnet of interesting hover flies, bees, etc.

 


3. Although bleached out by the strong sun, this dianthus is a favourite of the large Humming Bird Hawkmoths which seemed to appear at the same time these flowers started to open a couple of weeks ago.


Dianthus superbus 

4. The Eryngium Planum Tetre Petra was staked early in the season, and with its large number of blooms is a clear favourite of so many insects too.



5. King George is not quite standing to attention, but that has meant a few stems are languishing in the shade of other plants relishing the cooler conditions there.


6.  I'm not sure whether to be happy or fed up that this plant on the corner of the gravel garden just doesn't know when to stop flowering. I'm happy that it is the longest flowering plant in the garden, starting in the spring, and flowering until I very late in the autumn. Erodium Fran's Delight never fails to please.



A weekly task of dead heading required attention before the sun creeped round. 


Around the garden leaves are drying up, and looking like the Autumn is upon on us. I am already wondering what the next week will bring....

13 comments:

  1. The arrival of the first asters often means that autumn is approaching and it starts at home too. Very pretty colour of yours.!. I also like the dianthus and its pretty flower

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred, they do indeed bring some colour to the autumn garden.

      Delete
  2. Good morning Noelle, you Allium is so well named it really does look like a shooting star, while the Dainthus made me think of a sea creature. My voyage around your six has a large universal reach! I too enjoyed the cartoon of snails on Graeme's post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Botanical name is indeed a mouthful, and I have to come up with something a little easier!

      Delete
  3. That King George is a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Barbara, it is quite dependable too.

      Delete
  5. Wow, I love Erodium 'Fran's Delight', one to look out for. I didn't stake my eryngium and they are very flopped, a lesson for next time. Loving the dianthus too, and if they attract hummingbird hawk moths, even better. Have a great week, Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, I am gradually collecting some suitable steel supports, as the old canes and sticks and string are not the best, though I do like having bits of the sticks which I 'harvest' from shrubs do a second job in the garden.

      Delete
  6. Your late flowering allium looks like a gem Noelle. What height does it reach?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After saying they were 40 cm I went out and measured them, the tallest are 70cm high.

      Delete
  7. The Erodium looks and sounds like a good 'un. I have a different variety that usually flowers non-stop, although I split it this spring and it has taken a while to get going again. It looks like autumn where we live, dry yellow leaves lying in quite thick drifts along the pavements.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one does not look as if it would split, with just one stem going into the ground. I have tried cuttings but they are tricky. Last year I tried some direct into the ground where I had added extra grit, and I had one success. I like to have a 'successor' waiting in the wings for my favourite plants just in case.

      Delete