Monday 29 August 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Sea Shells and Oyster Shells

 Of Sea Shells and Oyster Shells....

Script above ' Lobster'!

One's mind can pleasantly wander and create a posy, bring forward pleasant memories stashed away, which is all part of the slow joy of this weekly meme.  Conceived and hosted by Cathy who also wanders through her garden twice a week for this meme, and also to join in with Six on Saturday hosted by another enthusiast. 

Today is Bank Holiday in the UK , and a leisurely breakfast in the garden justified a 'garden' posy.  Cosmos 'Sea Shells' are the star this week.



Joining the sea shells in the vase are Sedum Bertram Anderson, Dianthus Superbus, Aster King George, and leaves from Centaurea Silver Feather which went spare when I was potting up some cuttings yesterday.

Around the base of the vase are some old Oyster Shells which I picked up from the beach at Mersea Island.  We went there are visiting Beth Chatto's garden last year and spent a couple of delightful hours just walking along the edge and viewing a mini regatta of red sailed barges.  

"Oyster shells had collected in vast quantities on the beach. Found on Thames beaches only as a reminder of 19th century diets, the oyster shells of Mersea were displacing the shingle, forming a protective bulwark around a fragile island. The Romans, arriving in Essex to deal with the Iceni, stayed to fortify Colchester and had laid oyster beds at Mersea, where they liked to come on holiday. Oyster farming rights on Mersea dated back to Edward the Confessor, and shellfish were the fabric of the island." Edge Walking #3 Mersea Island by Tom Bolton

I am a 'gatherer' and here I gathered shells old oyster shells some had pebbles embeded in them, others had smaller oysters growing on them. I place the shells often on the gravel to mark the position of choice bulbs, or place them on the garden to deter the many birds from digging around the patches of cuttings I place directly in the soil.

5 comments:

  1. The perfect prop for the cosmos of course, and interesting facts about the Mersea oyster beds too. All the wispy bits in your vase look really effetive with the cosmos. I noticed my Superbum that I had from you is flowering too

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the shell-shaped Cosmos and the wispy Dianthus. I use a layer of sea shells in the top tier of our fountain to provide perches for birds when they stop for a drink or a bath - unfortunately, the raccoons who visit under the cover of night are prone to stealing them, leaving me to find them in areas scattered throughout the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your racoons are cheeky chaps, I can just imagine them wondering what they are and why they are not good to eat.

      Delete
  3. I'm catching up after Covid finally caught up with me 😒 A most pretty vase Noelle and a fine gathering of seashells too. I've never grown cosmos 'Seashells' and must give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that you have been poorly Anna, wishing you a speedy recovery.

      Delete