Monday 27 March 2023

In a Vase on Monday

This week's small posy is made up of a few flowers from the garden. The Daffodils are Narcissus Rip Van Winkle and the cream and pink foliage is a snippet off the  Sorbaria sorbifolia 'Sem'



The Green edged yellow is from a shrub which I took as cuttings from a plant I admired growing alongside a local footpath, a sort of Euonymus.

The Blue Grape Hyacinth started off as a few bulbs, no more than half a dozen which came up when I cleared some old shrubs from the curb side of the blank wall, so in effect I don't usually see them.  Over three years they have extended to quite a wide area.  With their straggly green growth they are not quite the sort of thing I would normally give garden room to, and intended digging them up.  I thought I would leave them to flower as they do look quite pretty when in bloom.

As my eyes were being affected by the Grape Hyacinth as I was arranging them, I realised that I had to find a good home for the little arrangement immediately, so I stepped out of my front door to find my neighbour and hand them to her.  I'm now joining the small gang of IAVOMers over at Cathy's for this weekly get together. Cathy has chosen to make a splash of a post with her yellows and blues.

12 comments:

  1. Is it only certain plants that affect you, Noelle? One wouldn't have thought that the muscari would be producing much in the way of pollen yet, as the bells look faitly closed 🙄 Blue and yellow invariably make for a winner, and you have augmented yours with some pretty foliage - I don't know Sorbaria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely shrub but succers so I have it in a lot glazed pot. I would not be without it, the spring foliage is stunning, and I also like its dark stems during the winter. If you type Sorbaria in the search engine on the right top, you will see other posts I have written about it.

      Delete
  2. I was wondering what Rip Van Winkle was - Narcissus? I like it and have not seen another. Is that a gecko gracing the base of the vase? Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Rip Van Winkle is an old Irish Narcissus from the nineteenth century. Yes I use the term lizard but it also looks like a baby crocodile and again this is old.

      Delete
  3. There seems to be a yellow and blue theme across much of IAVOM this week. I love that you’ve also included golden foliage with your blooms. I bet you made your neighbour’s day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blue and yellow seems to be a particularly popular choice this week, Noelle. I'm sure your neighbor appreciated the hand-off of the bouquet but what is it about the hyacinths that bother your eyes? I don't grow these flowers so now I'm wondering if they emit an irritant like onions do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The foliage is long and straggly and the number of bulbs is increasing too much, much the same as for my bluebells which sadly are not the indigenous English type but Spanish Ones. I've tried to remove them, but they seem to grow even stronger from the odd one I leave behind.

      Delete
  5. I love seeing yellow and blue together, Noelle. But I think one of the nicest things about this vase is the Euonymus leaf! And the fact that you gave it to your neighbour… bet it made her day! A shame the pollen affects you so badly. Or was it the flower itself you didn't like?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all these flowers, and also the Muscari both form and colour, but sadly I can have very few flowers in the house. For ourselves I have a few dried flowers from the garden and also love foliage arrangements too, Most of my IAVOMs are given away, but this particular neighbour is usually away working on a Monday.

      Delete
  6. A colourful and winning combination Noelle. I like the subtle sorbaria foliage - does your plant produce suckers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes The Sorbaria does come up with suckers but I keep it in a pot, which I move to different places. I particularly like the spring foliage. Last year I divided it to give a piece to a friend, but it was hard work, or maybe I was just feeble. This year I am going to try some semi ripe cuttings.

      Delete