Saturday 11 March 2023

Six on Saturday - Everything on hold as it gets cold again

 What a week weatherwise, quite the coldest March for a number of years.A friend not far away had several inches of snow here it was not settling.  I woke up this morning to Alan Titmarsh saying that my viticella should be cut down to ground level.  I leave it at about 40cm, I shall need to check my pruning techniques.  I'm joining in with he who for today I name Jim the Camelia, and so will a few other gardeners to show six things from their gardens.

1. Chionodoxa Sardensis or Lesser Glory of the Snow is hardly moving.  I planted a few bulbs per pot as soon as the bulbs arrived.  Some of the pots not quite this open went into their positions in the garden.  We had  'lesser snow' this week, with just a little sprinkling.



2. The 'Posing Shelf' on the side of the shed, with its ever changing assortment of pots has a few other beauties in addition to a couple of bonsai sized mini gardens.



3. I've taken to spring flowers in a big way in the Conservatory Border.  The Corydalis Beth Evans, which featured on my very first Six on Saturday in March 2019, is doing particularly well in that border.  Last year when I was putting a new plant in there, I came across some of the corms, and planted those up in a small half pot specifically so that I could look at them closely. It will take another week of warmer weather for them to fully open.  It is go slow for now.


4. Not doing as well as the other crocus as I think they were damaged by either the squirrel of by me when I repotted them. this is a new crocus this season and is a very pretty white crocus with  bluey purple marking on the petals.  I bought Crocus versicolor 'Picturatus' from Pottertons last autumn. I've read that crocus have different names for age stages in their maturation: juvenile, immature, virginal,  generative, and that the case enveloping the flower is called the perianth tube. I think I have a range here.  I'll keep these in a pot and probably amalgamate the two pots for display next year.

Crocus versicolor 'Picturatus'

5.  The pot of strawberries 'Sweetheart' got s[lit and panted, the oyster shells which formed part of 'an art installation' on the square table where being broken up by the frosts and it was time to reuse them to hide the mixed gravel and soil.  I may get a new bag of gravel to refresh that area.  The soil gradient has been flattened and I shall see if the tumble down can be reduced.


6, The Dwarf Mangetout Pea 'Norli' has arrived and has been sown in modules. I have left sufficient for a late sowing in July.  They are on a windowsill in the house, and as soon as there is sign of life, they will go into the conservatory, then out into the garden.  I am already dreaming of picking them!


14 comments:

  1. The posing shelf looks good and that's the second time I've seen Corydalis 'Beth Evans' today - it's lovely. I've not spotted any Chionodoxa in my borders yet, although the slugs and snails have a tendency to polish them off here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now it is warming up, they will be out and about, and hopefully I'll catch a few.

      Delete
  2. The Posing Shelf is a brilliant idea, I love it. Really brilliant bulb display and Beth is looking fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its my 'cat walk' for plants in absence for the right aspect for 'a theatre' .

      Delete
  3. It has indeed been a cold week Noelle - definitely a planning and reading day today. We had snow here both on Thursday and yesterday but fortunately it didn't settle. I like your idea of a 'posing shelf' 😂 It has some most attractive occupants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, the opposition of the 'is it on the way out' section near the compost bin.

      Delete
  4. I really like the posing shelf and the pink corydalis on it. Tomorrow I'm thinking of starting the sowing of beetroots, kohlrabis, and parsnips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are indeed fortunate to have the space to have grow those lovely vegetables Fred.

      Delete
  5. The Pseudowintera under the shelf isn't doing a bad job of posing either. Is that in a pot? I've wanted one for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is its Winter position where the sun makes it shine and stand out. During the hotter leaf scorching days it gets moved to the other side of the stone area. It would do nicely in dappled shade I think. I tried it in the ground in a sunny position but got too much scorching, particularly through rain drops when the strong sun burnt small round areas. I didn't want to loose it and it has not looked back since going into its large pot.

      Delete
  6. I also cut my Viticella to about 40-50cm, I can hardly bare to see all the lovely fresh growth go to waste! The shelf is a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sel, At that height, slugs or snails have to climb first to have a nibble, I wonder how many shoots coming straight out of the ground 'disappear'?

      Delete
  7. I'm a fan of the Posing Shelf too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with everyone that has admired the showing shelf! Exceptional!
    Many thanks for confirming the Sorbaria for me.

    ReplyDelete