Monday 6 March 2023

Sweet Buns for Breakfast

 Has it really been ten years since I last baked Andrew Whitley's fruited buns, which with a cross is his Hot Cross Bun Recipe? Probably not, but I did post about them then.  

It was my own fault, I started these buns far too late yesterday.  It is cold at present and the rise wasn't fast enough.  I know Andrew Whitley advocates slow ferment, but this was very slow!  After starting the recipe with the preferment  at about 3 p.m. by 8 p.m. the first rise was such that no way would I be able to form the buns and get them baked.  At 8 p.m. the dough went for a super slow rise in the fridge!  

The buns didn't get into the oven until after 2 p.m. today, but they look pretty good.  I didn't have any standard strong wholemeal flour, but used spelt instead.  The quick glaze was marmalade let down just slightly with some hot water, something I have successfully used in the past.  

These will be eaten for breakfast, one each, with frozen buns easily removed the night before, and either warmed up or toasted for breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment