Saturday 13 May 2023

Six on Saturday - 13 May 2023

We have had deluges of rain, but also a couple of days of sunshine. Already the Holm Oaks are starting to go through their summer moult, as evergreen trees do and this is when I hope that we don't have too many easterly winds as we did on Friday as they shed over on my garden rather than on the other side of the wall where they are growing. 

Here are my Six this Saturday:

1. The Nemesia Vanille Fraise was left in situ over the winter with just a light prune and just look it now, growing in the 'Willow Pot' in full flower and filling the garden with its scent. 


2. Another plant which I hope will flower year after year is the Choisya 'Aztec Pearl'.  It is somewhat dominated by the Persicaria Red Dragon that seems not be at all snuffed out by the huge amount of rain, in fact the converse is true. It was just a small new plant last November.

3. One of the plants in full flower and much admired was again a white:  Centaurea Montana Alba.  Over three weeks I have had requests for this plant and having divided this and positioned it at various points in the front garden over the last couple of years, was able with my trowel to provide some good plants straight away to friends.


What is so good about this silver leaved perennial cornflower is that as soon as a flush of flowers is over, I cut it right back to the ground, and it spring back and flowers again.  I get at least three repeats, and this year I shall monitor this clump to see how many regrowns I get.

It  is not just one way with plants: this week I received a piece of Brunnera macrophylla 'Hadspen Cream' from Brenda,plants were exchanged when we visited Batcombe House, this week. That has been planted in a shaded area.  Once it grows and I can judge its habit here in the garden, it will be a good one hopefully to place in different areas. I've visited Batcombe House previously but went mainly to meet up with gardening friends.

4. This is the view of looking towards Gooseberry corner but with the planting and with the fruit trees growing on nicely. It was looking at this border which featured in May 2021, early this morning, which illustrated to me how worthwhile taking a weekly overview of the garden is.



5.  Always a favourite area of the garden, the gravel garden is looking fine and for the last couple of weeks the creeping thyme 'Jekka' has been attracting pollinators. It easily roots along its long stems into the gravel and I have been placing 'new' plants to start to give the front Mediterranean themed garden some early carpeting cover and colour.

I've read that it is a good culinary thyme, and I really ought to put that to the test.  Also I understand if you cut this one back it bounces back with perhaps another display to follow.

6. Another little plant which has given pleasure since first planting three years ago is the heart leaved globe daisy: Globularia cordifolia.  Batcombe House also have this trailing off a short brick wall to great effect.  It was obviously very happy there as it had been in for years as seen from it thickish woody base. Here it is just starting to flower today:


Globularia cordifolia

Finally: 

Since high profile people can made a U turn, I hope readers won't be dismayed that after writing recently about my decision to temporary halt my weekly posts linking in to memes, I feel it important to return at the very least to SOS which is hosted each Saturday by Jim. 

For one I won't be silenced:  after receiving

 'Your post titled 'Apple D'Arcy Spice' has been unpublished' Your post titled 'Apple D'Arcy Spice'was flagged to us for review. We have determined that it violates our guidelines and have unpublished the URL

I have no idea what caused an infringement, but I have removed the links to apple suppliers to the RHS and others, and now it is accepted. How those links were an infringement I do not know, however on resubmission it was 'uncancelled'!

Secondly I had some friends round for a Book Club and luncheon, and their comments regarding the garden and some of the plants made me look at the garden with fresh eyes.

And looking back at my post in May 2021, I realised that these weekly posts allow me to note my feelings and also views of the gardens and plants which I enjoy looking back on myself. They give me so much pleasure....

14 comments:

  1. Oh aren't the robots that check for these things a pain at times? I like the idea of a perennial cornflower that comes back time and time again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is the first time it has happened to me. The annual cornflowers are quite striky, and yes a plant that comes back, can be divided and shared with local friends is a great addition to the garden.

      Delete
  2. I didn't realise a Nemesia would over winter. I bought one for this first time this year as I couldn't resist the smell. Your garden is looking lovely. It's good to see some of the wider views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the garden is small but with the curving paths there are different views. You can take cuttings of the Nemesia too to increase your stock too if you wish.

      Delete
  3. How weird regarding the infringement thing. Your garden is looking stunning. I think I have a few Centaurea Montana Alba - although mine haven't quite taken off to the same extent as the blue lot which I find myself pulling up and getting shot or sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I couldn't understand why really. Like you I had the blue centaurea in a previous garden and did the same with those.

      Delete
  4. The garden looks wonderful. I love the Persicaria. We have a similar native Globularia here, though it rarely lasts it is very pretty. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, it doesn't last too long as you say, but strangely it flowered twice last year.

      Delete
  5. Sarah Rajkotwala14 May 2023 at 08:56

    Love your foliage contrasts, that is as pretty as your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, I too love foliage and for me is almost more important that flowers.

      Delete
  6. It's true that the persicaria tends to take up space at the moment and is spreading. I have the 'Purple Fantasy' variety which dominates a rosebush but soon it will be the other way around. At first sight I thought that the Globularia cordifolia was another plant (armeria)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I added Purple Fantasy to the garden last year and am pleased with it, the patterns are delightful, and as yet the growth is not as dominant as Persicaria Red Dragon.

      Delete
  7. Your nemesia is looking in fine fettle Noelle. I lost both of my plants which had overwintered in the greenhouse - maybe I treated them too well 🤔 That lovely perfume must drift in when the window is open too 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did feel lucky as they were outside all winter. I had another three in a different pot which I have now divided up and added them separately to mixed planting in pots. I think when you are in it all the time you get nose blind, but you are right when I open the conservatory doors, I get a lovely scent.

      Delete