Friday 12 May 2017

Raisin Rye the Sourdough way, again but with a little twist

Rasin Rye on page 63 of Jane Mason's Book: Perfecting Sourdough is the second challenge for May 2017.  I must own up to having made this one back in November when I was testing my new oven.  Here is the full sized loaf:


You can see from the lovely shine that I did glaze it....

I set out with all good intentions last week and had my rye sourdough bouncing ready to be used!

I really did, I promise...but then there was the orange peel from the organic orange I had put into the fruit salad for breakfast, and then there were the dregs from the fruit and fibre cereal packet: the peel got zested, and the cereal got soaked ...somehow they all got incorporated.  Then there was the cow's milk left from when my sister was staying...that got heated up and used instead of the water.  Sorry Jane for having messed around with your recipe.

Since we were having building works and workmen interrupting, I forgot about the glaze...and the loaf got left in the oven a little longer than I would have liked.  Not to worry, it was not burnt, and next morning when the crust has softened, the flavour was magnificent.  The reason I made a smaller 500g loaf this time round and some buns, is that is the best way for us to 'manage' our consumption.  I frooze the buns.  This morning we had two of these...I took them out of the freezer last night, and gave them a quick warm up in the oven whilst I made the drinks and prepared the fruit salad.



Again I followed Clive Mellum's tips of mixing in the butter after a good knead, which by the way is Jane's technique in her Book of Buns, and balancing temperatures and giving folds hourly.  The texture seemed to be much lighter but this may have been due to milk being substituted for water.


With my baking sheets now well worn in, I find just a quick dust with some semolina or ground rice before I turn the bannetons onto the hot trays mean I longer needs silicon paper.  For the bun tins, a good buttering means the buns fall out easily.

No comments:

Post a Comment