Monday 27 December 2021

In a Vase on Monday

 This period between Christmas and the New Year is one I enjoy.  A quiet sort of period, when  one can indulge oneself in quiet pastimes. For instance I had some time on my own and having at first planned a cycle ride, which had been put off on account of the mizzle and rain early in the day. Itturned out nice with sunshine from 11 onwards.  I pottered in the garden, sowed some seed, and even had lunch in the garden, feeling the warmth of the sunshine on my face. I was facing towards the Winter flowering jasmine, and knew that a few stems could easily be spared for today's In a Vase on Monday. 




Joining the Jasmine nudiflorum, are a couple of Cyclamen hederifolium leaves, and some of black leaves of  Ohiopogon planiscapus Nigrescens.

The twig has been moved around to different places over Christmas.  At one time it was on the mantle, then the side board, and sometimes across the coffee table. It's yellow lichen link in with the yellow Jasmine flowers.  


On our monthly visit to The Newt, out in the woodland when we were 'stalking' deer, I found a lovely lichen covered twig on the deeply leaved woodland floor, it reminded me of this fine stag with its many branched antlers. As this fine stag has over 16 points, I believe it has grown the right to be called A Monarch.





The twig has been moved around to different places over Christmas.  At one time it was on the mantle, then the side board, and sometimes across the coffee table. It's yellow lichen link in with the yellow Jasmine flowers.  



I shall be joining in with Cathy as usual, then set off for my walk, and maybe a little light embroidery after that.  Cathy too has a twig or two this week.



8 comments:

  1. The jasmine is lovely Noelle. Impressive Monarch! Enjoy your down time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love simple vases like this just as much as a full and abundant one - and what a joy to have your lichen covered twig. I brought one back from my Mum's island last time we visited and it will appear in a vase in due course. No jasmine here, but it does creep in from a neighbour's and it's about time I went to check it.. Hope you enjoyed your walk - today I have filled our recycling bin with paper and card as part of a big clear-out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Flowering twigs must be a joy in winter. I can't think of anything similar in my climate - I guess the closest analogy might be the flower stalks that suddenly erupt from rosettes of selected aeoniums. The stag with his elaborate crown is magnificent. (We don't have any of those either.) Best wishes for a happy new year, Noelle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your vase is lovely. I love the way the cyclamen leaves set off the simple jasmine. And your photo of the stag is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter flowering jasmines are so cheerful on grey December days Noelle. I hope that you're enjoying some precious time for yourself. I wonder what seeds you were sowing 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a variety of seeds from the Alpine Garden Society. Some of them need a cold spell, but first they need a warm spell.

      Delete
  6. That is lovely Noelle. Jasmine always reminds me of my parents' home, as they have a large shrub growing in front of the house. :-)

    ReplyDelete