Saturday 1 January 2022

Six on Saturday - The First of 2022

Happy New Year to everyone......

1. Unusual warm weather is already making me feel hopeful of finding those pearly white flowers appearing in gardens.  Already a friend has sent me a picture of a couple out in her garden with wishes of a Happy New Year.

In the meantime this past week I have read through one of my Christmas presents to myself.  I have been through 'A Passion for Snowdrops' by George Brownlee, comparing notes with my one and only other book on Snowdrops. Maybe I shall be able to show one of my own flowers this time next year?


 For a great resource of open gardens etc Pumpkin Beth carefully put together Calendar of Snowdrop Garden Openings, Talks, Events & Open Days 2022.

2. Mistletoe is widespread around here.  You see whole bunches growing up in trees, and just before Christmas picked up this ball for £3. 



However I am still on Mistletoe watch.  Here on the Amelanchier  it is was just two short stems last Christmas.

In just one year it now looks like this! It might be a male so a few of the berries bought will be attached to the other Amelanchiers.


3. Tall Rosemary is in flower, 


offering sustenance to the odd  passing bumblebee. It too close to the pear tree, so will be removed later, and yes there are good rooted cuttings awaiting for another place in the garden, It had a big cut back last spring and over the months I've snipped it many times, as it is one of my favourite herbs particularly in the winter when other herbs are not growing fast, and small prostrate rosemary is happy for now in its pot. However with the very poor light this month, flowering has been falling off, so I just hope the sun comes out.




4. I have been planting seeds which arrived from the Alpine Garden Society.  Some need the cold treatment, but I have  read that they need a warm period first, after a little soak. After a week or so they are now outside as it is so mild.  Taking note of each variety's requirements, potting and labelling of course: cyclamen, crocus, daffodils and Eryngiums . Others await spring time. 

5.Alliums are coming up already!  This is the large schubertii. and others close by are coming up too.

6. For the first time I have a white mould growing on the outside of a couple of terracotta plant pots. They were giving off a strange smell but the plants still looked healthy, and for now they have been moved outside awaiting a decision as to what the next step will be? 


Have any gardens been considering their failings?  I've decided all mine are forgiven, and I shall just approach the coming year with hope and interest in gardening and learning about plants we can't grow but still admire. As ever, I am joining in with the Chief of our Group of SOS. 



11 comments:

  1. In a few years you will be able to have your own mistletoe ... still a little patience ... Your rosemary is much more flowery than mine even if we have a wonderful mild weather these days ... it should not be long in to be so beautiful.A happy new year to you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting and varied Six-on-Saturday. I was going to include a couple of failures, but, like you, I thought best forgotten. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely selection. I really like the cover on A Passion for Snowdrops. The Mistletoe is particularly interesting to see. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about snowdrops appearing, there was a daffodil out by the roadside when we went for a walk this morning. All gardeners have failures, adventurous gardeners have more failures; more successes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jim, what a great way of putting things and your words words regarding gardeners: adventurous gardeners have more failures; more successes too. A blessing indeed from someone of your expertise. Thank you.

      Delete
  5. That's rather exciting regarding the mistletoe. There seems to be a lot of it down in Somerset but I don't remember ever seeing any back home in North East Wales. I spotted a few plastic pots behind the shed covering with white mould the other week. I'd never seen such a thing before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Himself ordered the very same snowdrop book as one of my Christmas presents Noelle but the online retailer has failed to deliver 😥 It was ordered well before the book was due to be published at the end of the November and there is still no word as to when it might be delivered. Where did you obtain your copy? Great to see the bulbs coming through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have recently been ordering books from Blackwells. https://blackwells.co.uk/bookshop/product/A-Passion-for-Snowdrops-by-George-G-Brownlee/9781849954938 I find they are very good and have good service via phone call if there are any issues. Do you have Gail Harland's book and how do you rate that one?

      Delete
    2. Oh many thanks Noelle �� I will cancel the order and try Blackwells as they appear to have copies. I do have Gail Harland's book which is very different to Naomi Slade's. It has some most interesting information about snowdrops in art, in the written word and about their general history as well as about snowdrop collectors. It does not cover individual varieties in any detail. I think that you would enjoy it. If my memory serves me right I think that Gail Harland is in the process of writing a snowdrop booklet for the HPS at the moment.

      Delete
  7. I've never tried growing my own mistletoe, how exciting. It's nice to have a few early snowdrops, 'Three Ships' is a reliable one which bulks up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation on 'Three Ships', I like the description of 'reliable' and 'bulks up well'. Hopefully they will sail into the garden. I have cyclamen hederifolium silver leafed that I like to propagate and share and have available for swaps or even just to give away.

      Delete