Saturday 29 January 2022

Six on Saturday - 29 January 2022

 If one takes part in a group activity, it becomes a team effort, even if one is in effect on one's own.  I am sure that our leader who is a long distance runner works on this to his advantage, both on those long runs and in the garden. Jon is our leader but I do get advance notice  when my gardening SOS Sister posts.  Her contribution this week amused me, and I felt further inspired to find Six in the garden after having read her post today.  I realise one has to keep in training ready for the Spring sprint.

1. January Stubble.  Clever for any of you who guess what it is.  I have two large clay pots with this ***** based on the stones on the seating circle. It is quite nice to run your hand across this and look to see if any of the little violets seeds which ants like to move around, are germinating.  They are soon weeded out.


2. Him inside who sports a short beard similar in length to the one above, just happened to mention at lunch that he liked the plant on the table with its pinkish tinges, and I could tell that he was wondering whether I had recently acquired some new plants 'secretly'.  No I said those are the Echeveria Elegans I planted up last year, they go a bit pink when they are stressed, could be the cold in the conservatory when the temperatures can drop to around 5 C at night.


after lunch I brought in the other older plant that is growing in a piece of lava, and has been outside by the front door, but protected a little by a canopy from the rain.  That one is much pinker.  The colour will revert back with time.


3. A Heir and a Spare.  When one can propagate one's own plants and enjoys doing that there is always a down side, in that you end up with several generations and a heir and spare just in case.  That way you can keep plants for many many years, without having to buy replacements. Grandma at the back now on a leg, daughter just below, and two tiny plants. 


4. I was just looking out when I was having my beans on toast lunch at what I could choose, and my eyes were drawn to this corner. Not on account of the nice shrub or the snowdrops but the little devil at their feet.  Did I inadvertently  move it, or did this grow from a seed moved by those cheeky ants two or three years ago?  I have three or four Winter aconites across the path in the conservatory bed.  Since I acquired those in 2020, it would mean that it takes two years from seed to get to flowering size. But then I read that it can take four years to reach flowering size, so it may have come in with soil from my previous garden, or it may be one I had moved but forgotten about. 


5. Why was I having baked beans on toast you may ask: Hubby offered to quickly put that on the table when I returned back from a glorious visit to Triffids Nursery on top of the Mendips where it was cold and blustery.  This lot will keep me happy all weekend. A friend suggested I use this site which had good pictures of many available snowdrops.


6.  And as the Prop and My SOS Sis says finish off with something pretty:


First planted in January 2019 there were just two bulbs of Galanthus Lady Beatrix Stanley received from Anna to whom I give thanks for my renewed interest in snowdrops along with Cathy from In a Vase on Monday. 

Its back into the garden now....

13 comments:

  1. I'm very pleased to have inspired you Sis, or I would have missed out on your lovely post. Great sempervivums, you always impress me how healthy and happy they appear. And of course love the snowdrops, much much more than just a flower. Have a great week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly most of my sempervivums succumbed to vine weevils, these are Aeoniums and are mostly inside...but hey that one I just brought from outside may also be contaminated. It is going straight back out!

      Delete
    2. Sorry I meant the small ones are echeverias, but I also grow Aeoniums and I was thinking about their need for a little watering when I was replying to your comment!!

      Delete
  2. I love these echeveria growing on lava..! It's a very good idea. Is there a hole where you planted it and put the roots there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is a circular hole drilled it in, but the stone is full of bubble holes and quire porous. I tried growing other plants in it, but they needed far more watering, so ideal for succulents and more probably cacti, but I don't grow any cacti on account of their spines.

      Delete
  3. I love taking cuttings and splitting plants. Amazing piece of lava as a plant pot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was making notes reading about your Echeveria - they may come in handy when looking after mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your chatty SoS, Noelle, and am left wondering what treasures came home with you from that nursery...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Echeveria look so perfect I can see why they might be mistaken for a new purchase. The pink tinge is very attractive despite it being caused by stress. If only it happened to people that way. It looks like you have a good snowdrop haul there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have made me realise that my Echeverias need repotting! Also I never knre that the pink colour came from being stressed, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your echeverias. Yes,I have found them susceptible to vine weevil and also mealy bug. Fun to grow them on lava. A visit to a nusery and new snowdrops; sounds like my idea of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What healthy plants, I hope the vine weevils leave that one alone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colours of your succulents! <3

    ReplyDelete