Monday 31 January 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Turkish Delights

Several of my favourite 'sweets' seem to come from Turkey or are Turkish in origin.    At Christmas I treated myself to small box of pomegranate and pistachio Turkish delight, which is my favourite of all and which I felt really lucky to find in Waitrose this Christmas. It came in a sweet small square wooded box, which was waiting in the to be got rid of pile, when I thought it would make a nice 'standard' for my little flower arrangement.

Figs are another of my 'Turkish Delights',  I found two small packets at my favourite greengrocers this Saturday, and felt that they would also be included in the 'tableau'.



Saturday was a real treat day for me, as I went up to collect some new snowdrops from Jackie at Triffids nurseries.  Although I am yet to become captivated by snowdrops with 'yellow', Jackie suggest I try the one whose foliage I had admired early on whilst I looked over what she was growing.  It has twisted splayed blue green leaves. She pointed out that its flower had an olive coloured ovary, and as the whole plant looked different it is much easier to tell apart.  It is Galanthus gracilis Vic Horton. 

Using every resource available I spent a pleasant time on Sunday reading more about the snowdrops I had bought, and discovered that Galanthus gracilis comes from Turkey and some surrounding areas, and likes a well drained soil, a sunny spot and dryish summer conditions. It has been planted amongst my oreganos which at the moment are cut right down.  

I can rightfully say that Galanthus gracilis is joining my other 'Turkish Delights' . The flowers were carefully snipped off  first.  They would probably have got crushed by my gloved hands during the planting.  

Mr S is trying to work out what is up with the better camera, so in the meantime please forgive this poor picture.

I am joining in with Cathy as always, and if you would like do go and see what she has for us this week too.


9 comments:

  1. Your tableau is most beautiful – you've just made me realise how well figs and snowdrops go together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea this was, for a Turkish tableau, although I must confess to not really enjoying Turkish delight, and adoring dried figs but not fresh, but of course I am all for your pretty snowdrop! �� It's a lovely little clump you were able to purchase, and so much nicer than a single 'drop. Is the Turkish delight box not the sort of thing one would hang onto, as it is surely pretty in itself and could, of course, be useful sometime...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have bought several over the years, and you are right, it is now back in the house. I may well decorate it.

      Delete
  3. The snowdrops contrast so well against those no doubt delicious figs Noelle. I was wondering which snowdrops you had bought 😀 It sounds as if you have the ideal spot to plant your gracilis in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just getting to grips with the differences, and have picked some at the 'bottom end' of the market. Now I must wait a year, or two, or maybe five to really enjoy clumps. I bought Angelique, Art Nouveau, Curly Mrs Thompson, Tubby Merlin, and a few others but I had to get Woronowii, as I liked the shiny bright green leaves.

      Delete
  4. I would have never thought to tie all those things together in a neat package but you did so beautifully! I'm always surprised at just how many snowdrops there are and I've yet to master the art of distinguishing between many of them but, as they are foreign plants unable to survive in my climate, I hope you'll forgive that. I do enjoy the fondness you and other galanthophiles have for them and, given my own preoccupation with dahlias, I have no doubt that I'd develop that same fondness for snowdrops if I could actually grow them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I do like about snowdrops is that their crescendo arrives at a precursor to all the other spring bulbs, which are all a treat after a few months of darkness. I do understand the delight you have in Dahlias they are magnificent plants.

      Delete
  5. A lovely collection of Turkish delights Noelle! The snowdrops and figs are a surprising but rather elegant combination. I also love 'Turkish Delight' (rose and lemon please!) and as we have quite a large Turkish population in Germany there are often stallholders in town selling dried figs and dates. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My family also gave me a nice box of Lemon and Rose which I am rationing out over the weeks since my birthday. Turkey would be a country I would try to go to in the Spring to enjoy their tulips and other wild flowers. They are also great bakers, I am sure you must really enjoy searching the markets for delicacies.

      Delete