Tuesday 1 February 2022

The Glastonbury Thorn -A twice flowering Hawthorne Crataegus monogyna 'Biflora'

 Crataegus monogyna 'Biflora'  called The Glastonbury Thorn.  Having read about the several legends I wondered what this tree looked like. 

 A couple of weeks ago the U3A geology group started its walk outside the Wells Museum.  Not surprisingly my eye was straying to a thorny tree.  This week I went to have a closer look and I believe it to be an example of The Glastonbury Thorn, which flowers both in winter and again at Easter.


At this stage you have to get close up to appreciate the flowers


A Spray is sent to the Queen each Christmas from Glastonbury. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn’t know it flowered twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, neither did I. I had heard of the Glastonbury thorn in passing, but had neither seen one, not had heard about it. I shall look out in local hedgerows to see if the birds had spread them. Or it might be one that can only be increased by cutting?

      Delete