Thursday 24 February 2022

Morning out to East Lambrook Manor

 Our little group of friends from the WI enjoyed our day out at East Lambrook Manor yesterday, and in the lull between days of storms and as today wintery showers with hail, we had the best of the weather for our visit which lasted around an hour.

Whilst waiting for other friends to arrive I popped over to the nursey shop to see what was available.  I photographed some of the snowdrops which appealed to me the most.  Coming back home I found that I had only recently bought a number of them, but I know there are two which they had previously for sale, as a friend had bought one early February it was Heffalump. I'll be back early February next year!

Having helped out at a HPS plant sale there previously I had visited before but several weeks later.



One of those snowdrops that stood out on the display was Marjorie Brown. The curved tiered snowdrop display was well set out with good labels, but I wonder how they managed to hold back some of the earlier flowering snowdrops so that they were flowering alongside later ones.  I guess there is a 'trick of the trade' going on here. Until recently most of my friends were not aware that there were different species or named cultivars, and this arrangement was a great way of helping them to 'get their eye in'.


Here Galanthus Marojorie Brown is shown at her best in the garden. Also in the garden the stems of the cornus both Midwinter Fire and the green stemmed varieties formed a nice high point whilst their feet were carpeted with snowdrops and newly emerging Hellebores.  What I did notice and which Kate also appreciated was how pale lemon colours showed up well in the light.


Again with an acid yellow colour of  this little clump of early daffodils caught our attention. I think there may well be orders put in for yellow hellebores for at least a couple of gardens!


Coming through the Manor central door giving onto the back garden, the stems of a Fuchsia with its pale peeling bark was particularly attractive, and it made me regret cutting down the tall stems of Fuchsia Hawkshead only a few days ago.  I shall try growing it taller next year. It is always fun having others interested in gardening around as we point out and share ideas. 


It was easy to get the gang to stand here, as there was this lovely bush of Daphne.  I thought it was Margaret Postille but with its rounded form and slight cream margins, it does not match Margaret Postill's form.  I have emailed the gardens for identification.  

Mike Werkmeister replied and said "It was Daphne odora ‘Aureomarginata’ - see article in March The English Garden for more info on Daphne.

As for initially thinking these were trimmed yew, it shows how one can be deceived: " In case you are interested, the yew is Chamaecyparis lawsoniana ‘Fletcheri’, so not yew at all! I wish it was yew, much easier to control." Margaret Fish used to call these the Pudding Trees. " They are difficult because, unlike yew, if you cut into old wood they don’t regrow." I've enjoyed my conversation with Mike and learnt a thing or two.


Several boxes of plants were purchased from the shop as well as birthday presents in the form of  tall metal snowdrops. A very agreeable stop for lunch closed the day for many of us: a shame though that the nearby pub is currently closed!



5 comments:

  1. DEfinitely a garden to visit when when we are down in that part of the country - which we will be, one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some really good gardens in Somerset Cathy, and a good place for golf too!

      Delete
  2. Oh a visit to East Lambrook must have been a most special treat Noelle. My eyes were drawn to that yellow hellebore. Do you know the name of the variety? I feel that something is missing from my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have enjoyed visiting there twice in the past a real gem of a cottage garden. That is sad to read about the pub across the road we had a lovely meal there the last time we visited.

    ReplyDelete