Saturday 5 February 2022

Six on Saturday - 5 February 2022

I find the weather patterns over this area interesting, and whereas January was deemed the third sunniest since 1919, I don't think that could be said for my neck of the woods.  Yes it was probably quite dry but we did have days of intense gloom with extensive cloud cover, but this morning there was a magnificent sun rise.  I'm linking in as usual with the Prop.

1. My penchant for dividing and multiplying kicked off early this year.  I was looking for a spot to plant a recent snowdrop acquisition, but close to the one I had in mind had an ever expanding clump of Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Little Tabby'.  I am helping out at the HPS Plant Sale this March which will be held at the lovely Yeo Organic Gardens on 26 March.  A few pots are now ready and will be closely nurtured.  This should see enough time to have some good pots to take to the sale for the group table.


Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Little Tabby' divisions


2. As I had some good potting compost mixed, next was Chrysanthemum Picasso's turn.  I am caring for this plant under the HPS Conservation Scheme. I think it was probably caught between a rock and hard place, languishing in its pot over the last couple of years, and it needs to be brought on well this coming season.  Should the weather turn much cooler, the pots will need some protection. I ended with six plants from the one.


3. Not to be outdone Chrysanthemum Hillside Apricot was divided into three.  At this stage Chrysanthemums can look very similar and get mixed up, so I selected different shaped pots. 



4. Cyclamen confusum seeds are geminating, and Cyclamen Maritimum germinated a couple of weeks ago, the first leaves are yet to emerge from Cyclamen purpureascens and Cyclamen intaminatum.

5. Galanthus Wasp is a delight, with its long flowers easy recognisable from a distance.  With a slight breeze the blooms wave around adding to their attractiveness.


6. The Crocuses seem to be coming up on a different schedule compared to last year. Comparing with 2020 we are perhaps two weeks behind. The first and only one crocus currently flowering now is  



Crocus sieberi Firefly: Firefly is easy to spot  with its flash of yellow at its throat.


"The Crocus sieberi 'Firefly', like its name suggests, has a glow of light in its tail, or rather the tubular base of its multi-coloured lilac, orange and white flower. A fairly robust Crocus sieberi, it has been known to survive encounters with frost when its kinsmen have failed. It’s a good naturalizer and will multiply well as the years go by." 

I like this description from Farmer Gracy.  I'll remember its name thinking of the light given off by Fireflies, which I have yet to personally see, though I understand from the Somerset Wildlife whose magazines drop regularly on our mat, that there are local colonies.  

That's it for this week friends.

15 comments:

  1. I had no idea that we had fireflies in this country, are they the same as glow worms? The only time I have seen one of those was in Germany 50 odd years ago! Love Wasp, I agree it looks wonderful in a breeze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes ours is commonly called glow worms: Lampyris Noctiluca: Britain's only firefly. I managed to take a video which I posted on my Facebook page, mainly to show my friends abroad who may never have seen a snowdrop.

      Delete
  2. It seems that here too January is the best month for several decades… I don't feel like I've seen much sun but it's true that there hasn't been much of rain compared to previous years. Glad to see you already have crocuses in bloom, I'm looking forward to mine....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing which ones you grow Fred.

      Delete
    2. 3 different colours, unlabelled. Yellows are dominant but the purples and whites resist year after year.

      Delete
  3. My plants seem to be on a different schedule too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh it looks as if you have a good clump of narcissus 'Wasp' Noelle. It's most distinctive although sadly has been slow to increase for me. I have a couple of pots or so of crocus 'Firefly' in pots in the greenhouse which have just opened this week. Such a breathtaking colour 😂

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know where my crocuses are hiding...I thought I had plenty in the garden, yours are lovely. Yes, January may have been sunny but there was very little wind so the air seemed heavy and the washing didn't dry very well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree about January - we had one week of glorious sunshine but the rest of it was quite gloomy. Mind you, one solid week of good weather is probably better than the average January!

    It sounds like you have a good selection of Cyclamen on the go - looking forward to seeing some in flower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The latest lot of seedlings will probably take three years until they are in flower: hope to still be doing SOS then.

      Delete
  7. I love seeing your divisions, and the Crocus Firefly is very eye catching. How does caring for a plant under the Conservation Scheme work? What a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you follow the link that is in the post, you will get to the page of the HPS website explaining it. It is to keep a good plant going, divide it and share with others who may wish to grow it, and hopefully provide stock to make sure the plant does not die out.

      Delete
  8. What a responsibility looking after plants for the HPS...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can only try one's best. Several people around the country will be growing it, and hopefully I can get several members in our group growing it too.

      Delete
  9. Your crocuses are ahead of mine. I never have much luck with them for some reason. I Love Galanthus Wasp.

    ReplyDelete