Saturday 12 February 2022

Six on Saturday - 12 February 2022

 I've just found time to squeeze in Six on Saturday.  After all at this time of the year when one can see changes in the garden each and every day, it wouldn't do to miss a few spring beauties. I am linking in with The Propagator, and I am sure he and others will manage to find a few gardening themed sixes to share.

1. Crocus chrysanthus 'Fuscotinctus' is flowering in its fourth season.  This little species yellow crocus with its outer petals netted with a deep purple has been slower to increase than other types I have planted.  I thought I had moved some corms to the side, and maybe those little green tips will arrive a couple of weeks after the original ones.  Waiting to see what comes up where is one of the treats that awaits gardeners this time of the year.


 2.  When I was planting something in the border in the autumn, I came across some other crocuses, and decided to plant them up in a half pan.  These are now on the shelf and have already been visited by bees.

Crocus tommasianus Barr's Purple

3. This is the first year I have grown 'daisies'.  Just a pack of six bought last year mainly to plant on top of the tulip bulbs.  I hadn't any idea of the colours.  This one was surplus and got planted in a spare pot.  It is quite charming with its pink petals and pale pink outer ruff.


4. Iris reticulata Blue Note are a little bit behind Harmony, and a deeper blue.  They look great in the sunshine this morning. Again coming up well and in the third season.

Iris reticulata Blue Note 

5.  I planted out some new snowdrops.  We are quite close to Shepton Mallett, where the great Galanthophile James Allen used to live.  I've chosen to group three of his snowdrops in a triangle, with the taller Merlin at the back, and Magnet and Robin Hood nearer the front of the bed.


6.  I took a large pan of my special Cyclamen hederifolium seedlings to the snowdrop grower, and at the end of my order of snowdrops, had a little bonus added!  Now I can find gaps in the garden to place a few daffodils, over on the other side of the seating circle. Labels are being prepared!


I had bought a small pot of Narcissus Rip van Winkle four years ago from Jackie at Triffids Nursery, and they have grown very well.  Their tips are just breaking the soil now.  I shall wait till the new pots of Narcissi are nearly in flower and then place them so that I can better judge the best place for them dependent on their form, colour and size.  It is not so easy to judge this from bulb descriptions!




17 comments:

  1. Such a pretty surprise from the daisy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this one is different from the others which are either white or red.

      Delete
  2. Nice colours. I like the two tone daisy. Here mine are pink or white, not bicoloured.
    Concerning the labels, it's the opposite for me : I have the plants that are ready but I don't have enough labels! So I use clothes pegs, ice cream sticks… Impossible to easily find labels in the garden centres near here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got mine on ebay this time, or maybe it was amazon. I could have had half a dozen different colours. The green stands our enough for me to find them!

      Delete
  3. Love both of your crocuses - glorious in the sunshine. It is an exciting time now, isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snap with Magnet, Sis! Love those purple crocus in the pan, they look beautiful in the sunshine. I may well copy that. Nice green labels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed seeing all your lovely spring flowers. I always think iris look too delicate to survive in the garden! What sort of position to they enjoy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one set at the front of the border which has sun when it shines up till about 12 o'clock, and the other is further back in another border with sun for a little longer. The foliage does get quite tall towards the end, but by leaving it it makes good bulbs for the following year. I planted them deeply as advised about 15 cm above the bulb. That way I can plant some summer plants when the leaves die down.

      Delete
  6. Lovely, strong coloured crocuses, I have plenty of the pale mauve variety which are pretty but not dramatic. I have planted winter pansies on top of my tulip bulbs rather than daisies. The pansies have been lovely but no sign of the tulips that I planted in October. 🤔

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the colour is a little strong in the picture, though I did not mess around with it. My tulips are still not showing either.

      Delete
  7. Lovely crocuses. I never have much luck with them in borders for some reason (possibly due to my slapdash planting of them in the autumn).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many bulbs? I thin them out every few years.

      Delete
  8. Must put crocus 'Barr's Purple' on my wish list Noelle! Such a fabulous colour. I think that you have definitely got the snowdrop bug now 😂 I have just realised where you planned to be this weekend and hope that you had a great time. Will email you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes everyone was lovely to this newbie. Great talks, but horrid weather for the visits. Lots of nice snowdrops to help make the visits worth getting wet.

      Delete
  9. Those crocuses are glorious! Looks like spring is well underway in your garden. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting to know that your C fuscotintus returns for you, as I have some in the Coop - will definitely find somewhere to plant them out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does and increases too. A particularly attractive crocus this one.

      Delete