Thursday 3 February 2022

Having cake but not being able to eat it

 


Baked late last night and iced this morning, here is the Coconut, Lime and cardamom cake ---just a few of the many pieces.  Not exactly equally cut but a size for every appetite.  This is using Diana Henry's recipe for Lime, cardamom and coconut cake which I had spied through my newsfeed a week or so back. The only change I made was the use of Goat's butter instead of standard butter. Made in an oblong tin rather than the round shape in the recipe.  I haven't baked many coconut cakes, and the technique given in the recipe about soaking the coconut in hot water helped to make soft juicy coconut shreds to put in the cake.

The cake was tasted at a gathering of ladies this morning, with a piece or two or three remaining for us to have this afternoon.  On the return from the dentist Mr S will sadly be watching me have my second piece of the day, as he must not eat anything but sops for another 24 hrs.  "Yippy", I said, porridge for breakfast tomorrow, but he doesn't really like porridge, though he get to have it once a week.  He said porridge has bits in it.  He is just going to have yogurt.  I reckon a piece will keep till tomorrow afternoon/

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. He did of course get to eat a piece the following day, and pronounced it good enough to enter my repertoire, being on a higher level than 'vegetable cake' aka carrot, parsnip, sweet potato cakes. He never turns down a piece of these either!

      Delete
  2. I couldn't read all the recipe as The Telegraph wanted me to have a free trial to continue reading...🙄 Yes, I think nasturtiums can easily be underrated as they are such pretty blooms - yours seem really early though? When did you sow them, or are they self-seeded? Hope your visitors enjoy their visit and their cake tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a few days time, I'll email you with my version which has a few changes. Some are self seeded, and I can't remember when the others were sown, probably April, when the ones in the garden from fallen seed were just emerging. I gave quite a few pots away, when I realised that even more coming up in the garden

      Delete