Sunday 20 February 2022

Galanthus Curly - First two flowers

 "Heavily textured, highly fragrant, large flowers have green markings on the outer segments and a particularly fine diffused more‑or‑less x-shaped marking on the inners." Harveys Garden Plants

"A Small hybrid with relatively big flowers Green on inner segments, some veining on outer. Fragrant. Leaves applanate, narrow, distinctively re curved .blue green glaucescent . Herbert Ransom and Richard Nutt. Hyde lodge Garden  1960 Distinctively curled leave ." Field of Blooms

"A later flowering, short snowdrop, which has leaves that are curved backwards. The large flowers have long, tapering outer segments with tiny green lines at the tips. The inner mark is a dramatic X shape, where the upper part is blurred." Judy's Snowdrops

I bought this little Galanthus in January from Jackie Williams owner of Triffids Nursery.  This has only just opened up, and as the weather is so bad at the moment, decided to cut the two blooms and bring it indoors to admire.  I have yet to observe the 'heavily' textured aspect: looking very closely I can see some feint creasing along the outer petals, but of course these may become accentuated as the blossom matures . At the very tip of the three outer petals there are three small green markings A very distinctive deep sinus or notch at the apex of the inner three segments together with the strong green at the apex fading upwards in an x shape. The three inner petals made a narrow tube which splay out at the tips.




A delightful new addition to my snowdrop collection planted close to the edge of the Conservatory border where it can be easily admired.  I hope it bulks up well.

2 comments:

  1. I think that I've bought 'Curly' in the past Noelle but I'm not sure where it is. The foliage appealed to me as much as the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curly is one of the ones I bought last year but mine hasn't opened yet, so it is good to have a preview!

    ReplyDelete