Saturday 27 November 2021

Six on Saturday - 27 November 2021

 Last Saturday I drove all the way across the levels to the Somerset HPS  last lecture of the year.  After the AGM,  Derry Watkins talked about borderline hardy plants in the garden.  At the same time I picked up two plants which I am due to take care of under the HPS conservation Scheme. 

1. Chrysanthemum 'Picasso' is in a poor state, rather congested, under fed, and constricted in a pot.  I think it has been lurking in that one for a couple of seasons, as last year there was no meeting.  "This plant was introduced to cultivation in 2003 but not made commercially available. It is a compact hardy herbaceous perennial chrysanthemum forming a neat done of foliage and flowers with a height of 45 cm and a spread of 45 cm too.  Dense sprays of small to medium 'pom-pom' peach coloured flowers fade to buff, and require full sun." 



2. Iris variegata var. reginae 'Bozhimir Davidov'.  This plant was introduced in 2010 and around the mid 1980's was bought from Boughton Dower House in Northamptonshire, home of Sir David Scott and Valerie Finnis.  Height 35cm x 40cm spread,  White flowers with falls heavily veined in deep violet'. I am definitely going to have to give this one the best care to get it going.  Of course, for now it may be nothing considering we are going into winter.  Any experience and advice on caring for these two would be appreciated. 



3. To add to my chrysanthemum trial and care routine, I was brought a pot of hardy Chrysanthemum Hillside Apricot.  At the previous HPS meeting Mary Payne mentioned this plant as the one Chrysanthemums that she would not do without.  Brenda Wilson another member of the HPS who came to introduce herself to me after her husband Peter and her recognised me from the AGS zoom meetings brought me that plant.  It has some good shoots coming around the pot ready for next year, and the flower left on just for identification purposes.


4. I could not resist this plant brought by Derry Watkins: Centaurea 'Silver Feather'., a silver leaved Knapweed.  There were three things which attracted me: silver leaves, divided leaves, and a Knapweed!



With its finely dived silver foliage and those feather lilac-pink flowers, it is evergreen but it dislikes winter wet.  In this instance I shall follow one of Derry's tips for dealing with such plants: don't plant out in wet or cold soil in late autumn but wait till the soil warms up in the spring, and given a year to get established it should then be able to stand the winter weather, with hopefully some cuttings taken to overwinter as a fall back in case it succumbs. This will form part of my silver leaved plant collection as well as being a good food source for bees and butterflies.


5. Dreaded vine weevils have gone through the sempervivum collection: pans have been washed and await inspiration on what to add. Had I still got my larger collection I would have been in tears.



6. Auricula Nessun Norma may just make an early appearance.....


For my (Hardy Plant Society) HPS friends, or anyone really interested in snowdrops, I'd like to share with you that if you are members, or become members of the Galanthus Group, which any HPS member may join for £5, there are still three more zoom webinars on 30th November, 31 January, and 28 February.  The first this coming Tuesday is "My Snowdrop Garden" speaker Paddy Tobin. If you get your skates on you could join in time and not miss this one.

I need to get my skates on and finish this post, and link into Jon the Propagator, as I can hear Mr S is soon approaching the "Breakfast is ready" call.



14 comments:

  1. A centaurea in bloom right now?!... it isn't frequent! Nice collection of sempervivum pans. They remind me of bonsai pots (and I have to order one by the way)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that was the last one and grown under cover to demonstrate the type of flowers, all the other plants were smaller and not in flower. They are indeed bonsai pots Fred. Well spotted! They are ideal for growing sempervivums.

      Delete
  2. Pesky vine weevils. A cyclamen I'd brought indoors went to look very sickly recently. I assumed I'd overwatered it but it turned out to be vine weevils. I think Jim featured hardy chrysanthemums the other week - I'm definitely going to have to look into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If my cyclamen get attacked, I shall be devastated.

      Delete
  3. Lucky you, having a Derry Watkins talk. She has such interesting plants. I have C. Picasso too, it makes a wonderful show when it is mature. Such a lovely colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With her lovely garden just north of Bath, we manage to visit most years. This year is was on one of Somerset HPS Summer Outings. I bought some see there, more on this next week.

      Delete
  4. Poor you with the pesky vine weavils, they seem to cause a lot of damage. I also like the silver-leaved knapweed for the reasons you give, and that’s interesting advice re planting out time. I have a Helichrysum in a pot which I have been contemplating risking in the wet clay ground but will definitely delay now till spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a little look look at Helichrysum and I would say it you can keep it fairly dry over the winter with some shelter, that would be wise.

      Delete
  5. I've mislaid my HPS boklet on Chrysanths, which is annoying. Poor old 'Picasso' has been badly neglected. I think I'd be looking to get cuttings going in the spring and probably dump the main plant. It looks like a nice variety. I can certainly see why you had to have the Centaurea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim on the advice on the Chrysanths. Do you think I ought to pot it up in some fresh compost so it has something good to grow into pending the cuttings session? I do wish I had picked up the copy of that booklet at the meeting. Does it have a reasonable section on cultivation and care?

      Delete
  6. Oh vine weevils are such pesky creatures Noelle and sadly are more partial to plants grown in pots too 😢 It's fortunate that you found them when you did. I'll be there on Tuesday evening. I think that the talks are open to members of the Hardy Plant Society too for a small charge of £3.00 per talk 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a point there, but since it is just £5 to join for the year, I think it is worth joining.

      Delete
  7. Gosh, that's a responsibility Noelle - hope they thrive under your care and attention! I have just joined the HPS snowdrop group but sadly will have to watch the recorded talks asTuesdays are now my singing night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, it is you and Anna that got me growing a few specials. I shall have to choose a couple of nice ones in February, grow them on, and then I shall be able to share them with you.

      Delete