Monday 1 November 2021

In a Vase on Monday - The last of this year's roses

With gusts on the increase, and a need to trim the rose trees, the remaining buds on Rose Grace were put together and graced our main daytime sitting area over the weekend.


Starting with tight buds on the Thursday,  with more open roses, the arrangement was a delight.


The red chillies which were the last of the harvest from the garden plants are now nicely dried, but remain in place as a bright accent in the centre of the table. 

My neighbour Val offered me some of her purple flowering Verbena bonariensis, which I planted up in a border, but I cut the flowering stem from the seedling to allow it to bulk up for next season.  Together with some ivy fruits picked on a recent walk down our lane, and the flowering tips of Persicaria Red Dragon, a second posy was also ready to show this morning. And on the theme of 'upcycling' I added another item Chamaecyparis pisifera ‘Filifera Golden Mop'that would have otherwise ended up earlier in the compost heap, as will both these arrangments in a couple of days.

I'm joining in with Cathy and from her garden she will have set her arrangement, no doubt with excellent props.

7 comments:

  1. Love both of these arrangements. The yellow roses really are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Grace is more than just graceful - such a pretty little vase of blooms, as is your second vase too. The roses certainly don't look weather-beaten, so you must have picked them just in time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both vases look lovely with your cheery chillies. I love the Verbena with the ivy flowers. 😃

    ReplyDelete
  4. 'Grace' is a gorgeous rose. I need to follow your example and cut back my dwarf Verbena bonariensis in the hope that'll help it live to see another season - I have terrible luck keeping these plants alive here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty roses, I would be sad to see them go. Your peppers reminded me of my grandmother who threaded hers onto a string and kept them in the kitchen to dry. I need to try that?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that I should have follow your example and picked my roses and other or two other lingerering flowers for a vase on Thursday too Noelle as after that the elements threw out nothing but wind and persistent rain. Today has been an improvement though 😂 Your 'Grace' seems to be not only beautiful but most prolific with her blooms too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, I felt a sort of cheat posting flowers that were not picked on the Monday morning, or at least the Sunday. However they were so lovely, and I like to look back over the years when my firsts and lasts were of certain plants or flowers. I had Grace in my last garden and I just had to get another couple for here.

      Delete