Saturday 6 November 2021

Six on Saturday - 6 November 2021

 This week the first frost of the season hit the garden.  Nothing seems to have been affected, but we did have the lovely fern shapes on the top of the conservatory.  

1. Before the frosts one and only Dahlia David Howard was cut down earlier in the week, and since it was growing in a large pot, for now, I have just brought the pot into the shed.  Please would someone explain if I should take it out of its soil and 'dry it out' then put it back in some damp soil/sand or whatever, ready to spend its few months rest. As we haven't had any rain, the soil in the pot was already on the dry side.

2.  I have been resisting buying bulbs or anything new to grow on for the spring, as I want to grow more from seed.  Over the last three years bulbs have been planted in the garden, but as we were walking past our small independent nursery where I tend to pick up pots, I thought I would support them by buying a little packet of bulbs.  We were walking, and really could not manage any more as I had gone to buy feet to prop up my pots so they don't get waterlogged over the winter, freeze and shatter.  Half of the bulbs were damaged/wizened/mouldy.  Usually at this price I would not have bothered to return or make a complaint, but I have decided to be less timid.  By the time I had cycled back a 'student' was covering the lunch time slot, so I said an exchange would be fine.  This time I decided to open the packet in the shop.  The same thing happened.  Rather than throw two packets away, and I get my money back, I felt the kindest way forward was to suggest that I choose the best 6 Cabanna Tulip bulbs.  They have been planted, and I shall report back sometime next year.


3. Shadows and morning light offer up aspects of the garden which are easily overlooked.  I  had to be quick to go out and catch the shadow cast by the Cyclamen Hederifolium which had pleased me so much over breakfast.


4.  Turning around I caught the sun shinning through the last remaining blooms of the little patio Rose.  I had to check the name and what a coincidence it is called 'Shine On', new to the garden this spring.


5. Meet Verbena bonariensis 'Little One' which is a souvenir of my visit to Beth Chatto's garden.  It will add a little height in a diminutive sort of way to the gravel garden.


6. I am still fond of the little Viola Tricolor which I grew from seed sent to me by Jim.  Some of the larger plants were trimmed back, and I am pleased to say they have bounced back.  I ought to look for seed to save to sow again this spring. Violas is a good small plant to pop into gaps after the early spring flowers are over.




And Violas are edible and a delightful little garnish which help make a salad lunch quite pretty. I do like an edible flower and we are still eating our own lettuce.  My plate was piled high with lettuce, this was Mr S's place where I have to bury both the green and purple leaves under the beetroot!


17 comments:

  1. Pretty light through this yellow rose! The shot is very successful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rose is really quite a fetching tangerine colour, but I do see the yellow where the sun is shining through as beautiful as stained glass to my eyes.

      Delete
  2. I nearly bought Shine On when I was looking for an orange rose. It's lovely, as is the Viola. I have a white dahlia that has lived in a pot for years now. I leave it in the pot (complete with old compost) over winter, hiding it under the swing seat cover. I have to check it in the spring for vine weevils though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the advice on keeping Dahlias. I just hate those little weevils I've lost quite a few sempervivums to them recently. I do like Shine On but not sure of the form of the stems. The rose comes out but then side shoots grow up above it. Up at our Nursery called Rocky Mountain, they have loads of roses each season, nice potted up just to keep the roots fresh, and around £6 a plant, it is quite reasonable to try one or two each year. Apart from the full price specials from David Austen, I try to keep to the budget buys, or take cuttings.

      Delete
  3. I hope your tulips bloom, as they look like they should be a very pretty variety. I thought your photo of the cyclamen shadows was very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each season has its high points in the garden, and I think shadows and also sound come to the fore at this time of the year.

      Delete
  4. I have left my dahlias in pots over-winter and they seem quite happy to do so, as long as kept pretty dry (but not too dry). Lovely little patio rose, a ray of sunshine in itself. What a pretty lunch, Sis! Have a good week x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, hope you are not working too hard, and that you are settling down nicely now.

      Delete
  5. Extra beetroot on my plate, and rather not on his.

    Such joy and encouragement in roses that echo the sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To think David hardly ate Salads when I first met him, he even loves Olives now!

      Delete
  6. Shame about the Tulips, but it sounds like you made the best of the situation.

    Concerning Dahlias: I know of various people that do various different things! I think the main thing is not to let them sit in damp over the winter as this will rot the tubers.

    The salad looks lovely by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those tulips look gorgeous but what a shame about the rest of their stock. I took onion sets back to a large retailer in spring as they were wizened and dry.
    David Howard will be fine in the pot. I would cut it down, lie pot on it's side to dry out and then keep it dry in the shed until spring when you can repot it. I left one in a pot last year and it was fine. I've just started digging mine up. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Alison, I have really enjoyed the colour of David this autumn. It is in large terracotta pot, so it was quite dry and on the verge of needing watering, so I think it will be fine.

      Delete
  8. Yes, the usual wisdom is to lift the dahlias and let them dry out for a short time, before storing them but as you can store them in pots of dry soil it does make you wonder about skipping the middle step if they are in pots to begin with - it's making sure the compost is dry before storing that is the critical part, I think

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved your post and especially enjoyed the "shadows and morning light" photo. The feathered petal tulips look like they will be truly special - I hope they grow well for you and that you'll share the lovely photos next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The little violas are a favourite. I lift my Dahlias, turn them upside down to drain the stems. If there is any damage to the tubers I dust with yellow sulphur powder from garden centres. When dry I repot with a mixture of fresh compost and perlite. I start to water in March to promote growth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian that way of treating the tubers sounds really sound. Will that be the same fresh compost that they continue to grow in if growing on in pots during the summer, or would you need to repot again?

      Delete