Monday 29 November 2021

In a Vase on Monday - Frosty morning

 It is clear, cold and frosty.  This last week has seen the frost that caught the nasturtiums.  It feels as if winter has arrived. I was going to pass on making an arrangement this morning, preferring to keep inside, skipping the Earthly Joys of gardening, for the joys of reading .  However the window cleaners turned up for the big annual and pre Christmas clean.  I'm so pleased that it is after the storm as that left the whole house and garden covered with 'shredded tree' material and what looked like a bumper harvest of conifer seeds.

After I had moved all the pots out of the way, so that they can get access to clear out the gutters and wash and polish all the facias, I had worked up a cosy warmth, and a trip down the garden, yielded some Fuchsia Hawkshead stems, and a supporting frill of  Arum maculatum.


I thought a few leaves of Brunnera macrophylla 'Jack Frost', would be timely, but they were rather weather worn and tatty.



Keep warm and safe, and enjoy the simple of things in life such as a good book.  I am currently reading Earthly Joys by Philippa Gregory.  This is the first of two books.  I bought both  some time ago on the recommendation of my friend Jean who used to be a professional gardener. The writing is superb, the historical content cleverly woken in, and particularly riveting for any gardeners interested in the history of gardens and plant introductions. Yes I too would recommend this book.


I'm linking in as usual with Cathy, and wonder what other contributors will be sharing with this week.  Of course, we are lucky to be an 'international' bunch, so there is the Joy of all climates and season to share. 

17 comments:

  1. The Fuchsia makes a lovely focal point. Arum leaves have such great shape and texture. I looked yesterday for my arum and can't find it anywhere (after 20 years, wonder where it went). Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As this will appear as anonymous, just to say it's Cathy returning the visit all the way from Lydiard Park. Love the White fuschia, my garden is very forlorn at the moments its lovely to see pretty flowers. I'm a big fan of Philippa Gregory but this is a new one on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Cathy, many thanks for passing by and also commenting. I bought both books together second hand on the internet. Love the crafting you do by the way.

      Delete
  3. So pretty. The book sounds interesting, I will have to see if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fuchsia is fabulous and I love Arum foliage (and berries) well done. I will be looking for Earthly Joy, sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore that fuchsia and am tempted to try growing it again in my shade house. It looks splendid with the Arum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The fuschia looks wonderful against the arum foliage. Good book recommendation - I enjoyed this very much a few years ago. 😃 I can definitely recommend the sequel too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra, it is always encouraging to have a 'seconder' for book choices.

      Delete
  7. Such a delicate fucshia and lovely to have it blooming in November. I see the book is about John Tradescant, an interesting subject for gardeners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The author is an excellent researcher and she has the period well portrayed.

      Delete
  8. The arum foliage is brilliant for posies and vases and I always miss mine when the leaves die down. It works so well with your pretty fuschia. I am 8ntrigued by your book recommendation and will definitely look into it as I have followed up on so many of your book recommendations/suggestions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Arum deserves a meddle coming out as it does during the winter months. I have read a couple of duffers, well I gave up after 60 pages, but best not mentioned.

      Delete
  9. Such a lovely combination! It looks very seasonal with its crisp white and green.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A lovely combination Noelle. Brunnera foliage would have looked good to but as you suggest it's past it's sell by date now. I have read both 'Earthly Joys' and the sequel and enjoyed them both. Funnily enough I'm also currently reading a Philippa Gregory book in the shape of 'Three Sisters, Three Queens'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These well written historical novels really give one a different angle compared to the history we were taught at school. I wanted to use Brunnera on account of The Jack Frost Name and the change in weather.

      Delete
  11. Your Hawkshead is doing well to still have flowers after the gale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is in a very sheltered corner, in the lee of a stone wall, with evergreen oaks on the north side. It wasn't even frosty in that corner either.

      Delete