Saturday 20 November 2021

Six on Saturday - 20 November 2021

1. Getting involved with your local gardening club:

 During the week our Gardening Club's speaker was Jo Hayes.  I design and update our club's website, and each month I post about the forthcoming talk or event. Our talks organiser chooses excellent speakers, and we are very fortunate is having two members who are excellent speakers themselves.  After our talk this week by Jo Haynes, I hope that some members may start to grow or widen their interest in cyclamen, and indeed quite a few of Jo's plants were sold.  At £5 a pot some thought they were a little pricy at first, but were viewed in a different light, after she explained how long it took to grow the plants from seed, and that being the only way to propagate cyclamen.  I noticed there were more takers after that.  Hopefully next year, I shall have more takers for all the seeds that I collect. 


How and why I came to 'volunteer' to do the design and updating of the website as I had no previous experience, and just how far I have come, is thanks to the encouragement of the committee. Maybe it is just knowing that if I needed help, asking for it, would hopefully bring a solution, and if in doubt ask Mr Google! Using that same method only today I have learnt how to take a screen shot and save it, so that I can keep a record.  Jo kindly sent me a picture as I like to put up a little about our speaker. 

If you don't try you will never succeed....

I first heard Jo speak, in January 2019 at my regional branch of the HPS, where in addition to buying a pretty Cyclamen coum, I also bought seed of one variety.

As well as leading us through the year with the different species as they flower, she advised us of species to grow in the garden, and also ones which needed frost free conditions, or which at least require a cold greenhouse, Jo told us about her work as National Collection Holder, and the work of The Cyclamen Society, which has an annual seed distribution available to members.

Jo Hynes contact details as the National Cyclamen Collection holder are on the Plant Heritage Site.  

2. One of the original plants bought from Jo, at our first encounter,  is Cyclamen cilicium, I went out to take a picture of it and even now, after flowers are over,  it offers a pretty 'winter green' focus point in the gravel garden. Later on it completely disappears leaving the stage to other gravel garden plants.

3. Also grown from seed bought at the same time is Cyclamen graecum subs.candicum which I have risked growing in the gravel garden, where it certainly gets a good baking in the summer.  I wonder whether this is fool hardy of mef?  This is the second year, and the leaves are very interesting.  It will be another couple of years before they flower.


4. Released from its pot during the summer Cyclamen hederifolium Lysander, bought from John Massey's nursery provides delightful leaf cover at the foot of Ghislaine de Feligonde. The original source for this plant came from Taygetos mountains close to Sparta, and named after this ancient city's Greek Hero.

5. I planted the remainder of this year's hederifolium seeds and they are already germinating.



6. Did I buy any this time?  Just the one, which is a selected leaf form of Cyclamen hederifolium.



And I was tickled pink with a gift of a tiny little Cyclamen purpurascens, which will take some cossetting and guarding from slugs.  Jo advised me that of all the cyclamen this is perhaps the only one which the slugs go for. I had asked her if she grew these when I contacted her a few weeks ago.  This is a virtually evergreen cyclamen, which prefers shade, and which is said to have a wonderful  scent of Lily of the Valley, and used in the perfume industry. This one will be grown on the shaded side ledge and when in flower can then be moved to where the fragrance can be enjoyed.


Of course, I am not forgetting all the other cyclamen in the garden, but those will need to wait another time, and as for Jon: The Propagator, even though he has spent time running long distances and decorating, he still leads us by posting and has the confidence to show us his greenhouse which he is going to work on this weekend.  I am sure we shall have some 'after' pictures next week.





15 comments:

  1. An entirely Cyclamen-devoted post - right up my street! Ashwoods do come up with some complete stunners and interesting leaf variations: Lysander is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice choice of cyclamens ! My favourite could be the Cyclamen hederifolium Lysander : original leaf shape isn't it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a few cyclamens in a virtual shopping trolley - they've been sat there for 3 weeks as I've ummed and ahhed.This has now convinced me to go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you would like some little plantlets from the pan of germinated seedlings, some time during the summer, when they will be ready to pot on, let me know, and I can post them to you. Or else when you are this way you could visit.

      Delete
  4. Hoping to see the flowers in the months to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hederifolium have just finished flowering, and next on the scene will be the Cyclamen coum, and of course I'll post a few of those in the New Year.

      Delete
  5. Really interesting post, Noelle - and well done for volunteering for the website updating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, I was my idea that we had a website and also facebook group, and there at the inception of the website. One of our member's husband set out the structure and I took over from then, it must have been four years or so of course.

      Delete
  6. Well done on the website. I well remember my frustrations when I first stated the blog, but we figure it out in the end and I'm sure your members find it very useful. I enjoyed seeing the different cyclamen and Lysander gets a vote from me too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cyclamen leaves are definitely part of the attraction of the plant but I didn't realise there were do many different varieties of leaves. Interesting Six-on-Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How can I get in touch with Jo? I want to buy cyclamen seeds from her. I come from China and I like Cyclamen very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I have now put a link at the end of section 1 to Jo Hynes's entry on the Joint Plant Heritage site. I wish you success in your seed growing. I am not sure whether private people may send seed, or rather whether you may receive seed. If that is permitted, maybe you could consider joining the Cyclamen Society? There is a seed distribution each year.

      Delete
    2. Another avenue for obtaining seed is the Alpine Garden Society. I see that they are able to send seed to China. You have to be a member, which of course you may join, and the seed allocation has just been opened. Do try that. https://www.alpinegardensociety.net/seed-exchange/

      Delete
  9. A lovely post. I loved seeing all your cyclamen. Each year I buy a couple of packets of seeds of different ones to try. Unfortunately over the years the labels have got lost or muddled up. They are all lovely but it is difficult to sort them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The important thing is that you enjoy them Chloris. Flowering time is a good indicator, then it is a question of observation. It is just when you collect seed to share with other enthusiasts that it is important. I am always happy to share seed, so when you see my post that I have plenty to spare next summer, just send me a request. I'm not sure about sending them abroad though, I shall check this first.

      Delete