Monday 15 November 2021

In a Vase on Monday - 15 November 2021

 It is the middle of November, this morning was misty as I set off for my geology field trip.  Yesterday I spent a few hours in the garden moving plants, and also cutting back geraniums and pansies, to reveal all those labels marking the places where the spring bulbs will come up.  



The Viola tricolor were salvaged and are in the small vase.  



The Salvia Leucantha having been up to the neck just below their velour necks in a bucket of water overnight,  have held very well.  I've moved the whole plant to a sheltered position and also taken a couple of cuttings as insurance.



Placed on the conservatory table I have a few walnuts and a painted stone.  When we were on holiday in Lavenham we popped a little way north to Bury St Edmonds.  It happened to be market day and walking along my attention was drawn to some prettily decorated stones by Sharon, Her stall is called Pot Doodle.  I bought several with this one reminding us of our last dog  who used to sit amongst my pet bantam hens.

Humble Pie and Cold Turkey....I first heard about the book on Classic FM, the channel our alarm radio is set to.  As a lover of idioms, this was a little treat to myself, that I keep dipping into, finding the origins of sayings most interesting...something to make me smile just like the decorated stone above.



I missed the 8th anniversary of In a Vase on Monday last week so well done to Cathy who hosts this meme, and everyone one of the regular contributors.  This will be my 207th contribution, but that is just the number for which I remembered to add the In a Vase on Monday tag/label.  That means that Cathy has posted over twice that number.  Therefore I am in great admiration of Cathy who came up with a blockbuster of an idea. The term blockbuster is explained in the book but has come to a very different meaning these days.  Best not look up the origins, it is gruesome, but all our vases this week I am sure were thoughtfully constructed, it being remembrance Sunday yesterday.  For a good part of the afternoon I could hear the bells from Wells Cathedral which stopped silent at 11, continued then stopped at 3pm for the special service they were holding.  I join in with Cathy she will probably have announced the winner of last week's challenge.

9 comments:

  1. That is such a pretty salvia, and I like the way the blooms go so far up the stem - I hope yours survives the winter, although I am always amazed at how quickly cuttings can develop into full size plants. And such pretty little violas - I dug out lots that have self-seeded in paving cracks and will pot them up rather than buying new. I always like the tableaux you create for your vases on Monday and I am fairly sure it was your props that quickly encouraged me to add props to mine...thank you! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, that large shrub was indeed received as a little rooted cutting last November. I have a couple of other violas I have in mind to sow, but I am waiting for the Alpine Society and HPS to issue their seed lists, before buying large packets.

      Delete
  2. I love the combination of the Salvia and the pansies! The painted stone is very cute - it made me smile too. I hope your health scare was just a bump in the road and that you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The uncertainty was distressing. The relief palpable, thanks Kris.

      Delete
  3. OK, no blockbuster. It was an old video rental store in the US. You have two old favorites from my former garden in your vase today. I love blue flowers and Johnny Jump Ups are so cheery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again thank you for opening my eyes to another name for this lovely little violet. I am so pleased that my friend sent me a few saved seeds. They are indeed delightful cheery little flowers.

      Delete
  4. This was a lovely post Noelle. First, a pretty vase, then some fun with the pebble and book. I will most probably put that on my Christmas list, as I love anything connected with words. (Hence my blog's name!) So thanks for that tip. And church bells… how I miss hearing real peals of bells here. We just get chimes in Germany. Have a good week Noelle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you probably have the sound of cows with bells round their neck. When I have been walking in the hills and mountains in Europe that was such a soothing sound.

      Delete
  5. Oh the salvia and the violas with their lovely smiley faces are such fine companions Noelle. The book looks a good one to dip in and out of.

    ReplyDelete