Monday 16 May 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Shine On

 Yesterday was a little too damp after lunch, and since the morning had been spent taking a walk along the lanes edged with the white froth of of blossom on elderflower, Queen Anne's lace and Hawthorne, I had to get up early.  Early to choose flowers from the Garden to join in with Cathy for this Vase this Monday.

Just as I thought the sun would shine on and on and on, we have at last had rain,  We have a good amount, with a rumble or two of thunder overnight.  The garden at six this morning has a completely different feel and the hem of my dress is wet from brushing against plants. 

When I first read about this rose Shine On, it reminded me of a rose my parents grew in Mauritius in the early Sixties.  That rose was called Super Star Brigitte Bardot.  I read that soon after introducing the name Brigitte Bardot was prohibited...not in our household! Under the tropical sun its orange was quite stunning.  My father had imported it from France, and we always used to tease him about it as his pinup was Brigitte Bardot, though of course I was too young to know what a pinup was.  He was extremely fond of cinema, and would often go on a Saturday to watch three blockbusters all on the trot!  Shine On is much smaller but with similar dark green foliage, which comes up with a strong bronze tint on new shoots.

It is mid May and the roses are out.  Iceberg for a fortnight, Deep red rose Munstead Rose if fully open as is Grace, but at this moment too heavy with rain.  Open Arms is waiting for the myriad of bees to visit and the little orange coloured rose Shine On *is the one for this morning.  

I sauntered round the garden trying to find just the right piece of greenery or even a couple of companions, however nothing pleased either myself or the rose, so here you have it, three little stems in a bottle.



 It seems far too early to have roses in bloom, I am not ready to say goodbye to the late spring feeling, time is slipping away far too fast.

* A good site listing rose cultivars currently available by form etc.

8 comments:

  1. That is a gorgeous rose...a color I have not seen before. Perfect for a stunning spotlight in a vase.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, sometimes one just knows what works and what doesn't and your three rose blooms certainly work - lovely, such a golden colour! A few of the roses here have the odd bloom, but none are flowering profusely yet, which I am pleased about - I want them to be at their peak when we open!! Walking around the garden after rain but in the warmth of this time of year is such a wonderful experience isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That rose deserves its name! I'm glad you got some rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents used to grow a HT with very similar colours, I am going to add something to that effect in the main body.

      Delete
  4. Shine On is amazing. Love, love, love this. Enjoy every moment in May!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an aptly named rose Noelle. I'm glad that you have finally had some decent rain and like you I'm not ready yet to slip into summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful rose and I love the dark setting for showing it off. Brigitte would, too. I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a stunning colour Noelle! And I enjoyed the story about Bridget! Your hedgerows are a little ahead of ours… cow parsley is open, ut no elderflowers yet. Looking forward to that scent. 😃

    ReplyDelete