Saturday 28 May 2022

Six on Saturday - Six things in my garden

 The sun is strong but the air is fairly cool, perfect weather.  Sixish things in my garden to join in with Jon, as do many other gardeners Worldwide. 

1. However small my garden, I just cannot resist growing a few veg.  For instance today we had a delicious cucumber the first of the season.  My friend grew on some seeds and shared the plants around.  They were such good plants, and as she has a green house, all the tomato and cucumber seeds are being passed along for growing on.  

Cucumber growing in the conservatory

Two tumbling tomatoes in a large ceramic pot have started to set fruit.


2. I opened my garden for 'paying' visitors for the first time this week.  Actually they were donating some money to have tea and cake to raise funds for our gardening club.  They also happened to have a tour of the gardens front and back.  I managed to find a spare Semiaquilegea for Maggie, and another plant is already promised for Anthony.  

 

One of the plants one the side in the conservatory was Crassula Falcata Buddha's Temple.  I received my original plant over ten years ago, and every few years I go in for some renewal in the form of cuttings, throwing the mother plant away.  Here is the bowl with some very long terminal leaders removed.  .



Usually I use the pups, but this time I am also trying some 'slices' of the main stem.  I'll report back with updated pictures later in the year.





Having already given Sally from our club a plant several years ago, I am hoping that other members will rush to get these at a future fund raising event.

3. The Nemesia plug plants repotted are putting on some growth...


4.  Kitchen window view early this morning, with the morning light catching the Allium seed heads.


5. Red roses in full bloom...

Rose Munstead Wood

The blooms are so heavy they weigh down the stems.  I would love some tips on growing stronger stems. I have probably been too heavy handed with the rose fertilizer!

6.  First year in bloom around five years after sowing: Tulipa Sprengeri.  These are in the front garden, I have another clump in the back garden.  I hope they will grow even stronger next year.





I had enough for several clumps, but sadly other plants overgrew, and I think they just gave up the will to live!

Oh to be able to garden in the lovely weather: a real treat! The garden is open again this week, so there is lots of dead heading of roses due, and I need to rehearse the words "The Roses were absolutely perfect for the group last week, now what can we find to thrill you? The tea and cake are just as good!"


14 comments:

  1. What a great collection and I love the Crassula Falcata. I haven't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie, it is a hybrid introduced several decades ago, and is starting to appear around succulent sales. I love the form.

      Delete
  2. Ah, Tulipa sprengeri. Five years from seed to flower suggests I have a chance of pulling that off. How did you grow them? I sowed seed in a pot but they only came up about an inch in this, their first year, and have disappeared. I was going to see if there were bulblets and perhaps put them in fresh compost for next year, still in a pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just like you I sowed them in a very deep pot twelve inches across. I had about 50 seed and they all germinated. They can escape through the bottom so I put some water permeable weed membrane on the bottom to stop that. Try to keep them in leaf for as long as possible, they need water during the growing season and good light but not scorching. I left them in this big pot for two years, then potted them in clumps of about 15 bulbs in new pots, then grown on for another year, then when they started to emerge the following year, planted them into the garden. Hope that makes sense.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for that, very helpful. I need to do something with mine which are in a 9cm pot, too small, too shallow. They weren't in leaf for long either so I don't know what I'll find.

      Delete
  3. Tulips from seed? I am very impressed. There have been some lovely roses on show this week and your Munstead Wood is no exception, what a colour! Happy opening to you Sis, hope the sun shines on you all x

    ReplyDelete
  4. janesmudgeegarden29 May 2022 at 02:19

    Great photo of the alliums from the kitchen window. I;m so pleased your tulip has finally flowered....you had a long wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. janesmudgeegarden29 May 2022 at 03:34

    What a long time you had to wait fir your tulip! I do hope it continues to multiply. I think my species tulips have been too wet these past winters and don't seem to have been doing so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The length to flowering time and the fact that they place themselves very deep with the soil accounts for their price. This year they were mainly around the £9 per bulb. Next year I wonder what they will fetch.

      Delete
  6. Fabulous idea this cucumber in your conservatory. Does it have enough light? I think yes, seeing the first fuit. My nemesia is starting to bloom, I only have a few but will be saving seeds for more next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems that Nemesia are very popular this year, I look forward to seeing yours one of these weeks Fred. Yes I've grown cucumbers, and the voile is just to give a little shading or the leaves would scorch.

      Delete
  7. Your alliums simply sparkle Noelle and have inspired me to plant some in a large area of gravel near our car port ๐Ÿ˜„

    ReplyDelete
  8. How kind of you to open your garden to gardening club members, although I guess you will be amongst friends for both events. You have certainly filled your garden since you first arrived, but without making it look crowded ๐Ÿ˜Š

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am touched by your compliment Cathy. There is a lot but many have their moment then get covered over as they slowly go into dormancy ready for their time the following year, as with the snowdrops etc.

      Delete