Friday 3 June 2022

New and Old Scarves - Serendipity

 I cherish and use the lovely white raw silk scarf on the right hand side, it is as if I have the kind thoughts of my sister giving me a hug.  I don't know how long I have had it: I must ask her.  It is one of two she brought back from Nepal, the other one was a pale green.  I shall ask her about how long it is since her visit to India and Nepal.  I use it Summer and Winter, anytime I need to keep the chill off my neck or even protect it from the sun.  Each time I carefully hand wash it, I wonder whether it will be the last wash.  It washes up fairly crisp but after a little handling it softens and drapes beautifully.


Earlier this month we stayed in Dartington and walked  into Totnes along the river, and made for the market on our way to explore the town.  There was one stall which particularly caught my attention, as it was very attractively set out with merchandise of beautiful natural fabrics and yarns.  I used to buy many of my 'casual clothes' back in those days from a Company called Bishopston Trading, and found the soft Indian fabrics to my liking.  I was the only company I was aware of  selling organic cotton clothes with this 'provenance' direct from the makers.  I still have some of the cloth bags they put larger purchases in, yes years before the 'bags for life', I had my cloth bags, and lined reversable skirts, checked trousers etc.  I still have and wear and find the best for gardening now it is old, my heavy cotton Cornish Smock type top.

From Totnes, I remembered touching the scarf, still folded, admiring its quality and craftmanship.  I didn't get it at the time, but it came into my mind several times floating in and out, and the memory of the beautiful textile, if one can call hand knitting a textile, consigned to the category of 'what a beautiful thing I had seen, I did not get it at the time, but it had been created, and skilfully made, and  still as a beautiful thing which was maybe being cherished by someone somewhere.' I have a few of these...

On Wednesday, market day in Wells, we decided to sally forth together, partly just for a little 'outing' and also to view a temporary exhibition, of which more perhaps in another post. The exhibition was on the other side of Market Square and therefore we walked up one side of the market, and having seen the exhibition, walked down the other side just because it which was less crowded.   

I don't really 'browse', I'm not much of a shopper really, I see only what I want, so I usually just make straight for my usual food stalls. However I was stopped in my tracts I had a strange sense and looked to my right, and there was what looked like a very similar stall to the one in Totnes.  A moment of serendipity there was the scarf/stole.....I found out that this was the Vendor's first visit to Wells Market, and it may be the only one.

The scarf is made from Giant Himalayan Nettle  in Nepal, which is where my sister bought the raw silk scarf. To think in Nepal this plant grows to around 3 metres in one season before being harvested.

I asked my Sister about the scarf, and she had completely forgotten about it, as it is years and years since her great expedition.

3 comments:

  1. It looks beautiful Noelle, and so your colours. May it bring joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You obviously know me, I look forward to knowing your letting me know who you are. I shall cherish and enjoy both these scarves.

      Delete
  2. Apologies it’s Mandy in Kenilworth

    ReplyDelete