Saturday 25 June 2022

Six things in my garden late June 2022

We do have distant views of the Festival at Glastonbury if you stand on the sitting circle and peer to the distant hill, at night we can see the lights, and sound even reaches us.  I can't imagine a place I would rather not be, the place to be is however in the garden trying to zone in on the birdsong or even the sound of the wind in the foliage.  I am a little later than usual joining in with the weekly meme but still want to join the queue of people linking in with Jon The Propagator.

1.  Growing still in the same pot is Clematis Olympia, with blue flowers.

After it has flowered I am going to have a go as cutting it right down, giving it a feed etc, to see if it will flower a second time this year.  Last year after flowering but much later I cut it down and was really surprised at the growth.  It was too late in the season however.  I think it ought to be repotted in fresh compost for next year.

2.  Repotting was far too late for the cyclamen and after twenty minutes of trying to get the corm out of the pot with knives involved, it was either throw the whole lot away, or smashing the pot.  The corm is now planted in the garden, but for the heck of me, I can't remember where I put it.  I might as well have thrown the whole thing away!


3. Origanum 'Emma Stanley' in its third year in the gravel garden is the top plant there this week.



4. Grown from seed from the Alpine Garden Society these little Eryngium bourgatii will soon be placed in that area.  I lost the one growing elsewhere probably because it got overshadowed by other foliage, and I have realised they do need their own patch in the sun.


5.       My friend Eileen gave me a couple of tumbling tomatoes that have already set many fruit.  They are planted in the one large pot, which is now balanced on top of another inverted pot just to keep the fruit off the ground.


6.  Do you remember those little small plug plants...they are coming good, and will be a nice addition to our mini open day on Tuesday.


Hope the wind settles down, and for at least Tuesday we have a dry spell in the afternoon.  Other than that the garden could so with some rain.

7 comments:

  1. How many tomatoes you have! Have you ever eaten any? I'm waiting for the first Supersweet cherry tomatoes in the coming days and the first 'Coeur de Boeuf' is ready.
    I also notice that the dahlias are soon in bloom in the background..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fred there are so many, in another life I may count them. My parents used to grow 'Coeur de Boeuf'. Yes again just one Dahlia in a pot and that may be open in a week or so. Bon apetit for your wonderful tomatoes.

      Delete
  2. We're trying to endure Glastonbury on the telly as I type - it's about to be turned off. The bands don't seem to play anything nice that you can hum along to these days. That Clematis is a lovely, as is the gravel garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yes I think the gravel garden is one of my favourite parts of the garden at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Wouldn't mind a bit of (overnight) rain here too. Good luck with the garden opening. The clematis flowers are a great colour - not wishy washy like some I could mention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. On a recent GW Monty used a tool like a flexible palette knife to loosen a plant in a pot - I think it was something designed for that task - but I suppose the likes of of us would only need one occasionally! Your little pots of alpines look lovely, Noelle, and I hope your 'mini-opening' goes well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't even get a knife between the pot and the corm, I tried, even poking down from the hole in the bottom..definitely ought to have tried one year earlier! I have the GWs in the can and watch back episodes several weeks in arrears!

      Delete