Saturday 11 June 2022

Six on Saturday - 11 June 2022

 Most people were still in bed when I took my early morning tour of the garden just now.  It would have been someone special's  birthday and I was wondering what I would have cut as a posy from the garden for her bouquet..  But this is not about posies which I could then talk about, it is not Monday for A Vase on Monday.  This is Saturday the day for Six things to write about and share with gardening friends brought together under Jon's enabling blog: https://thepropagatorblog.wordpress.com/2022/06/11/six-on-saturday-11-06-2022/

1. To start off with RosGhislaine de Féligonde  is in bloom.  Mr S, who sometimes likes a little responsibility, has been given the task of dead heading this one as often as he likes.  Being tall he can reach all the blooms whilst standing only on the gravel path, no feet on the border as it contains all manner of delicate plants and the now dormant snowdrops and other bulbs.

2 For a semi shaded area this is about my most favourite and dependable all year round ground cover plant but isn't it also pretty when in flower?

Saxifraga stolonifera

3. Who dares let the odd self seeded plant thrive can end up with a fabulous specimen. 

Love in the Mist has returned
Remnants from years past
Blue or pink hued mantels bleached
Or hidden deep in the intervening time
In this regeneration.

Why named the ragged lady?
Devil in the Bush you are not
With your green finely crafted ruff
Sometimes equaled to the Hair of Venus
Your charming beauty beguiles me.

                   Noelle Mace 2021
Even the poem has reappeared!


4. For a pop of colour at this time of the year, the  Hardy Geranium 'Ann Folkard' winding herself through everything else is hard to beat. With all the rain we have had this week, it is as if everything is on steroids.


5. Seeds are ripening and sometimes it is a race to beat the ants...


As we sat on the patio having coffee yesterday, Mr S asked if there were weeds growing in the pots of 
Hakonechloa.  We have so many ants in the garden everywhere really, they are farmers of blackfly and seed transporters.  Love in the mist, violas, linaria, etc etc all found in the pot. I hardly need to keep yet more Cyclamen hederifolium seed so if anyone within the UK who would like some seed as soon as they are ripe, let me know. (you can put up a message with your email which I shall not publish and contact you direct). I have some lovely leaf forms, but they are open pollinated and you may end up with some lovely surprises.  You can use the search button at the right hand to get an idea of the silver and various other forms in the garden of cyclamen hederifolium.

6. I love gooseberries, and this is the second bowl picked this week.  Serious PPE required for the picking!


That's it for this week, still much to do in the garden, more than I have time for really. I'll view and comment in bits and pieces and in between everything else that is going on.


19 comments:

  1. That Love In the Mist is fantastic and I can almost taste a delicious Gooseberry fool. I would love to take you up on the other of Cyclamen seed. I shall send a separate message.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From time to time, I find gooseberry icecream, and I shall be making room in the freeze for my icecream in the next week or so.

      Delete
  2. The ants are doing some gardening for you, spreading those seeds around so nicely. Nigella is beguiling indeed, I also find them exceptionally beautiful. Very pretty grouping with the Saxifraga there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, we almost have too many ants! but they are tolerated.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if my gooseberries will ripen enough because I had a massive attack of caterpillars this year : they ate all the leaves of my currants, gooseberries and now they are attacking blackcurrants... Never had so many.
    Nice photo of cyclamens !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pity Fred, I do watch out for them and go and swash them. We also have sawflies which attack the roses, the same fate awaits them too.

      Delete
  4. Guess what? We bought Ann Folkard this week! Love your poem and, of course, nigella. Sending a hug on your day of remembrance x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gill, your Ann Folkard will certainly bring a pop to the garden.

      Delete
  5. I have plants of Saxifrage stolonifera in various places, it is so lovely at the moment, wouldn't be without it. Love it when the ants spread the seeds of various plants about, thats the sort of gardening I like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes and they find the best of places too.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful Love in the Mist poem. I had the white variety magically appear from nowhere last year. Alas, it doesn't appear to have produced any offspring. The semi-shaded area looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find the LITM was skip a year, maybe the seeds are waiting till next.

      Delete
  7. We've failed miserably with Ann Folkard and Ann Thompson, which to read other peoples accounts of them, takes some doing. Must try again. Potting up some of your cyclamen from a couple of years ago is on my urgent to do list. Lovely forms.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do look forward to seeing the cyclamen. If only I had room to grow more! How do you manage with other Geraniums?

      Delete
  8. Haha, my climbing roses ae certainly less well deadheaded than the shrub roses, where I can pluck the heads without getting something to stand on! That saxifraga certainly looks a good addition to a shady border, one to look out for, I think - and I love these stalwart geraniums too

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your Rosa 'Ghislaine de Féligonde' not just pretty but a lovely name. Mr B suggested I have a 'french' rose garden with all the lovely names in it and a 'naff' rose garden with all the awful names in it (Sexy Rexy springs to mind).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laughed out loud at Mr B's suggestion. I think he would suggest that Cuisse de Nymphe emue which I had in a previous garden and is lovely, could even have her own reclining stature! Brilliant idea, and you have the space to develop this.

      Delete
  10. It’s most handy indeed having a tall assistant gardener Noelle as I know from experience 😂 The saxifraga is rather magical in flower. The comment will record me as anonymous but it’s Anna commenting. Struggling with an iPad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a recently purchased long handled lopper, and even Mr S uses this instead of getting the ladder out. Anna, with Cathy you and I we have some excellent gardeners who can easily get down low and keep the garden there in very good form.

      Delete