Monday 16 January 2023

In a Vase on Monday - Don't Cry for Me

On Saturday, in a small gap between showers I made my escape into the garden to check on the snowdrops and emerging crocus.  There by the stone wall, a white rose in bud stunned me.  Iceberg was the one rose missed during the pruning sessions, and the idea of adding a short meaningful task seemed to draw me into the garden again later in the day. 

 Amongst the prunnings I rescued one bloom and brought it inside to sit on the kitchen window sill.  I already had a small vase of rosemary twigs kept over from some roast potatoes, as well as other herbs from the garden.  As it grew dark the rose seemed to gather a certain aura against the darkened garden. I tried to capture this but by then the kitchen reflections were too obvious.  

Here photographed in front of the slate platter, with garden grown chillies, thyme and bayleaf  is my offering for today.


Yesterday we walked into town, as by now with all the rain, the country lanes are covered with mud washed down from the banks, making a walk along them out of the question.  In town we popped into one of the charity shops, and my eye was drawn to the cover on a singles record.  If I had a record player I may well have bought it.  With the black background and the wet rose it just caught my eye!


Don't Cry for Me Argentina by the Shadows

You will smile when you see Cathy's sweet arrangement.  We all gather there each Monday, and you are welcome to, with plants/flowers/material from your garden arranged etc.


10 comments:

  1. Oh I wondered where the title was going to fit in, Noelle - what a bizarre coincidence to see that singles cover after having created the vase with your wonderful late find of the Iceberg rose! (I keep finding the odd rose I have missed pruning, or hellebore I have not yet snipped the leaves from). The way you have set off the bloom with your homegrown chillies and and herbs really enhances the setting of a post that just seems to have fallen into place 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, it was quite weird seeing the record sleeve. I have these little arrangements on the kitchen windowsill almost all of the time, with the odd snippets of flowers or herbs. Nice to look at when one is washing up.

      Delete
  2. What an interesting coincidence in the sighting of that record cover! Your white rose and its rosemary companion looks particularly lovely against the black background. I don't know why I've no 'Iceberg' roses - they're probably one of the few roses that might be happy here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more surprising Kris is that I do not usually look at the records or DVDs, but it had it special display on the wall. My mother used to grow it in Mauritius and use the buds for brides' bouquets and button holes.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful composition. How amazing to find a rose in January, worth celebrating. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Amelia, I agree, and to think I could have displayed snowdrops they can wait for another week.

      Delete
  4. I smiled when I saw your rose Noelle. What a lovely surprise! And the record cover was such a coincidence… naturally I had to listen to that tune on youtube, bringing back memories. So thanks for all the smiles today! 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So pleased you like the little yarn, and yes I smiled too when I saw the record.

      Delete
  5. Oh what treasure to find in January Noelle. I wonder whether it would have survived last night. I like your moody vase too. A new one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it would have survived the further ice, as for that little vase, it will make another appearance soon, when I shall explain all about it.

      Delete