Saturday 21 January 2023

Six on Saturday - 21 January 2023

Even when the weather effectively closes down opportunities for gardening, it does give more time for reading, and sharing in on zoom meetings from various gardening groups, and planning for new plants later in the year.  I love reading the other posts of SOSs available thanks to their dedication and to Jim who opens up with his post.  Knowledge and advice and even book recommendations are to be had.  I managed to source The Biography of Charles Darwin recommended a few weeks ago from our Library, and many thanks for that.  But I cannot remember who that was, so hopefully someone can let me know so that I can thank them.  

1. Thanks to encouragement from friends met on In A Vase on Monday, and Six on Saturday, I am enjoying snowdrops more and more.  Easily tucked in some pockets between other plants, snowdrops are an excellent 'collector's' plant even for a small garden.  Today I shall resist from showing any as they are quite frozen.


I came across an excellent talk on Youtube called Snowdrops for Beginners by Michael Myers.  Even if you are not a member of the AGS, these talks are free, and therefore do please share the link with your other gardening friends. I shared it on my Gardening Group Facebook page.

2. First thing in the morning it is still very cold, with frosting highlighting the pattern on the table. The top layer of the soil is heaved up making it look as if plants are semi buried.  


3. Earlier in the week, I started to clear a patch in the side border alongside the house.  I am having to dig a much deeper hole, as the Fuchsia had far deeper roots than I had expected, and those of the Mahonia intertwining with it have a great yellow colour similar to its stems.  I'm sure there will be suckering in the area, in the coming years.  Sadly since I started the job, it has been just too cold when I had some spare time.  Hopefully it will be cleared before next SOS!


4. A couple of weeks ago I was walking past a shop in Wells, and spied something familiar but different.  Many of you have probably read about the lovely Saxifraga stolonifera which I brought from my previous garden.  It has done amazingly well in the current garden along the narrow shady border.  The pot I spied in the shop had no name, but I have found it is  currently a popular houseplant called Saxifraga stolonifera 'Tricolor'.  


I was wondering whether it was hardy, and hopefully when it has some little ones, I was planning on try it in the garden.  Then by searching I found that it is, well if it is for Bob Brown of Cotswold Garden Flowers, then I shall certainly to planting it outside. Until the weather is much warmer it can reasonably remain as a house plant.

5. My cyclamen seed from the Cyclamen Society still have not germinated.  Good job I am the 'boss' of the kitchen and utility, which means I can leave these on the counter top. I open the bag every few days to check whether germination has taken place.




I explained nicely that they are my 'preciouses' and will germinate if kept at around 17 C in the dark, which explains the compost bag. Mr S is the tidy person in the house, but was convinced and he is being nice to me. Rather than bring in all the plants from the shed to that area, I felt they would be happier slightly cooler and moved them....

6. Other things have sneaked into the conservatory.  Can you imagine the tears if these were lost?


We keep the frost stat on in the conservatory, as with its good light, it is the ideal position for the succulents.

It may be just an ordinary species aeonium,  but the Aeonium balsamiferum is in its stride now, having had its summer rest.  The scent from the leaves is delightful.

Off to join in with Jim, and enjoy a read of Six things from him and other gardeners.

14 comments:

  1. Was that this year's seed from the Cyclamen Society? I decided to keep mine over until next summer (must find the seeds and store them somewhere sensible). Their pamphlet on seed sowing is rather non-committal and I didn't get my seeds until well into December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are, and I picked the tip up from one of the books I have. I'll try and find out the article to share as well hopefully next week.

      Delete
  2. I love the compost bag in the kitchen, a true kindred spirit! Well spotted with the saxifrage, it is a beauty. Stay warm, Sis x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to wash a compost bag for these occasions, but it was too cold this time. It is nice and thick and heavy just right to keep the light out. We don't have any bin bags, just put the rubbish straight into our bins!

      Delete
  3. You did well to shelter these pretty things in the conservatory! A few more days of frost, and it may be less risky afterwards( or not )
    I didn't know this variety of aeonium and it's very pretty. Thanks for sharing the link as well. It is denser and the stems are tighter, whereas the 3 varieties I have here have the long stems bare in winter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred. I like all the Aeoniums and would have more than the three varieties I have, but I could be easily tempted if I saw one of the tricolor ones at a reasonable price.

      Delete
  4. Where I am from, Atlanta, Georgia, the Saxifraga is grown outside and called Strawberry Begonia. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, thanks for that. I went on to read more and looked up some of the common name used in America, but it could be misleading to use that name here as botanically I do not believe it has ever been classified as a member of the Begoniaceae family. I was tickled pink as it were to find a different form.

      Delete
  5. The Saxifraga is a pretty thing. I used to have a more common variety in a Sydney garden once, but have forgotten all about it. It has a pretty flower in close up too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it grew more happily in part shade where the flowers last quite well.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the link to the AGS. I look forward to watching it. I hope your seedlings germinate soon. I too clutter up the work tops with seed trays and thankfully no-one complains.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your saxifrage is very pretty indeed, I hope it settles into your garden like the original. Wish you every success with your seedlings, good for you, keeping them nice and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your latest buy looks great <3 It will look great next to the other lovely plants in your conservatory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, but I wonder whether the light will be too bright there. For now it is staying on the shadier side.

      Delete