Monday 9 January 2023

In a Vase on Monday - Mid Winter

 One of the pleasures of living close to the countryside are the walks.  At present the ground is far too wet and soggy but the country lanes are relatively peaceful and a shortish person like me can enjoy the scenery through and now above the bare hedges which have had a severe short back and sides.  I did find a little clump of hazel which has escape the harsh blades, and they form the height in today vase bottle.


A spring of heather and a single Hellebore Niger join in this simple arrangement.  The lighting was tricky this morning, giving more or less a black and white look.

As for reading, alongside other non-fiction books I am reading, I have just finished Grandmothers by Salley Vickers. 




I found it a gentle slowish moving but non the less ejoyable read, with some of the scenes such as the visit to the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford, and the visit to Kew Gardens reminding me of my many enjoyable visits there.  I do remember thinking that those skulls were probably Monkey and non shrunken human heads!

As usual this post is linked in with Cathy, who dreamt up and instigated this most pleasurable of habits to joining up with vases from plants from our gardens, or maybe toy boxes? 





8 comments:

  1. I wish that we had country lanes on the doorstep Noelle - rich pickings indeed and a beautiful hellebore. I've read a few of Sally Vickers's books but not that tirle so I will make a note of that title. I'm listening to an audio book for the first time ever - 'Shrines Of Gaiety' by Kate Atkinson and am really enjoying the experience 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I agree about winter hedges being easier to see through/over for a short person (but not so good if one is 'caught short', as I always am!) What a simple little vignette you have created, highlighted by the single hellebore bloom - lovely. Always intersting to see what you are reading, Noelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy..maybe wear camouflage gear then you would not be seen!!!!

      Delete
  3. That is a cheering scene Noelle, with the bright hellebore at the centre. I love seeing hazel catkins in the hedges and then the pussy willows later too. I am reading more this year (on my third book already!) so it is interesting to hear what you are reading too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For the fiction side of things, Cathy, I read the monthly book club recommendation. We are also lucky enough to have a good library, which is on my regular walk around town.

      Delete
  4. Wonderful hazels and hellebores, I like the sound of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only read one of Sally Vickers' books, "The Librarian." Just looked at her other titles and I will go looking to see if I can find them here. Alas too cold for much to be blooming where I live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall look that one out, and if you have ever been to Venice then Miss Garnet's Angel is perfect. I like Angels and often try to find them in carvings and paintings. In Somerset there are many very large angels on the ceilings of ancient churches such as the one at St Cuthbert's.

      Delete