Monday 23 January 2023

Snowdrops in a special vase on Monday

 I am unsure whether to call today's offering Special Snowdrops IAVOM or Snowdrops in a Special Vase.  To Galanthophiles these varieties are probably considered just good garden doers, so I feel happier erring to the Special Vase title.  I bought this this vase specially for snowdrops in 2018 at Shepton Mallett Snowdrop Festival where I met up with Alison who used to be a regular contributor.  It is just the right size for the taller snowdrops.


The two snowdrops towards the left top and bottom are Jaquenetta.  Galanthus Jacquenetta is a Greatorex Double with almost no ovary.  In the middle is the Godfrey Owen which is in that it has six outer and six inner petals, at the top is Fieldgate Prelude which had part of its stem cut off with  long outer petals/segments compared to the inner ones which bear the beautiful markings. Just in front on it is the last of the Galanthus J Haydn which has been in flower since before Christmas.  

In the vase is a couple of pieces of Pittosporum 'Tom Thumb', and a piece of the Hebe 'Silver Dollar' which is growing in a Bonsai Dish along with a few other alpines. 

Its been a glorious sunny but cold day, and after having some friends round this morning for a knitting session, went for a walk to the Palace gardens where the snowdrops had hardly pierced the ground.  It just goes to show that it is worth getting some of the 'special snowdrops' to get the season going as early as possible.  I am joining in with Cathy on this Monday, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a few other snowdrops today.  

12 comments:

  1. Your vase really is ideal for snowdrops Noelle. I am no expert on them, simply appreciating them for their pretty white and green, but it must be nice to have different ones extending the season. 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just getting to know them, and it takes time to appreciate all the nuances. Close observation is required which helps me to concentrate.

      Delete
  2. Pretty Snowdrop vase. I like the additions as well. Amazing how the size of a vase works so well with certain flowers. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, and I often put my small or large chinese terracotta army soldiers in the frame to give a give to size.

      Delete
  3. Oh how pretty Noelle - it's always great to observe them close up and also to smell them in a warm room 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am also trying to use the game of spot the snowdrop to help with my memory!

      Delete
  4. That's a lovely vase, Noelle, and you've done it proud with your snowdrops and the pretty foliage additions. Nice placement too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, the lighting in the conservatory is so good, just right for taking pictures.

      Delete
  5. Your special vase deserves its day! Lovely, and it shows off the snowdrops well. I've never grown snowdrops nor had the opportunity to see them growing and study their details. They seem to have indefinite variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes the breeders are coming out with different ones, and also 'spotters' try to find different ones from naturally occurring ones. They are slow in propagate and bring on to flowering size, about four or five years, I wait till they have been proven as good garden plants before I am tempted!

      Delete
  6. Oh that is such a pretty vase andm as you suggest, just perfect for snowdrops. I have a snowdrop mug but it would take rather a lot of snowdrops to fill it!! I like how you are being selective about your purchases - wise but difficult for any snowdrop appreciator! I think your first snowdrop is probably Jacquenetta rather than Jacqueline, which may have just been a slip of a typing finger! 😉Tom Thumb is such a brilliant foliage plant and I always like to see what artefacts you include as you have so many intriguing artefacts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cathy, you are quite right. After writing the post, I even went and researched the different snowdrops I had pictured in the garden, and had corrected my notes in my garden journal, but had not come back to correct the post. I've corrected the post now, but will still give you credit of helping me by leaving your comment. I have another Pittosporum but I think the dark shiny leaves of Tom Thumb offer a good contrast.

      Delete