Monday 9 January 2023

Traditional English Macaroons

I raised the suggestion of a Knit and Natter group within our WI, thinking there would just be a few people interested, but our Chairman Ann has declared it the red hot ticket for this year, with far more than I could accommodate, such that there are going to be four separate groups on different days, at different homes.

Yesterday evening, I realised that having baked a few Passion Fruit Melting Moments biscuits, one of the ladies is gluten intolerant, so after dinner and a bit of a rest, I made half the quantity of the Macaroons recipe from Mary Berry's Baking Bible.  


I've steered clear of baking biscuits for some time, as I was finding the oven unreliable at the lower temperatures.  I had wondered whether the thermostat was on the blink, and had sent out an SOS to neighbours on our WhatsApp group, and the following morning Pippa arrived with her oven thermometer.  Yes the oven is fairly accurate at the higher temperatures, but is way over on the lower temperatures. In fact I have never been able able to bake those beautiful pale shortbreads, or macaroons such as these which should be evenly cooked and still pale and interesting.  

Now I have the answer: a separate oven thermometer. The oven light has gone, but Mr S promises to buy and replace it this week, and also if necessary a new thermostat part for the oven.  I had pondered a new oven, but if I can adjust my temperatures with this one, why change?  

No comments:

Post a Comment