Monday 10 April 2023

In a Vase on Easter Monday

 Yesterday I went to help serve teas at the Wessex Daffodil Society show.  Our gardening club helps out to serve refreshments to the many who travel miles to stage their special daffodils in so many different classes.  All are beautiful and perfect and the judges take hours to reach their final decisions.  Thirsty work of course.  I had made a large tray bake of the Hairy Bikers' Cardamon Coffee Cake which I first made over a decade ago.  I halved the cardamon and added grated lemon peel, and had many compliments over it.  

I had not wanted to stage any blooms this year as this would have meant driving out to the Village Hall twice in one day.  Instead Mr S and I went on a long walk in the beautiful spring sunshine.  Last year the Society donated a number of bulbs in thanks for all the help we offer, and which were raffled off a the club.  I had Narcissus Pebble Mill.  


Not surprisingly this is the one I chose to show in my Vase on Monday today.  Alongside are leaves of Allium italicum, and some clear blue flowers from Brunnera macrophylla Jack Frost. 



The Book Club gang are meeting up at Anne's this week to discuss our latest read.  It was a real page turner which I thoroughly enjoyed.  We shall be discussing The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell.




The cult like atmosphere with controlling behaviour was on my mind when I caught a clip on classic FM advertising the the interview with the pianist RIOPY who also lived but escaped a controlling violent sect in France.  I must listen to some of his music, I wonder whether Alexa will have any tracks.

Hope you are having a lovely Easter.  Us IVOMers are gathering under Cathy's watchful eye, but we are also meeting virtually next week for the second time...

18 comments:

  1. A simple gorgeous vase. I adore the white and blue. And the foliage is sublime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, I love having different forms of foliage in the garden, almost more than blooms, and this is a winter performer, closing down during the summer so can be grown close to plants that perform in the reserve sense.

      Delete
  2. What a gloriously white narcissus, Noelle - so pure against the green of the arum and blue of the brunnera. Did you get to see who won the various classes at the show? Your cake sounds interesting - is it posted on your blog somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've put in a link to the post which mentioned it, but you will find the full recipe at http://betterbellyburst.blogspot.com/2018/11/cardamom-coffee-cake.html There is no coffee in the cake!

      Delete
    2. They were show people from around the South of England, and I did have a quick twirl round, but washing up etc beconned too often, as well as having to make and pour copious amounts of tea etc.

      Delete
  3. Hairy Bikers' Cardamon Coffee Cake?! How did the cake get that name? I love anything with cardamon so it sounds intriguing on all levels. But, more to the point, your arrangement is beautiful with just the right touches of that bright blue color. I suspect your pristine daffodils would have won an award if you'd submitted them for assessment. I've pinned 'The Family Upstairs' for future reference as it sounds intriguing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kris, this is what the bikers wrote: 'There is no coffee in this, we cam hear you shout! Well, you know what - this cake isn't called coffee cake because it contains coffee but because it's served at coffee time! It's very light, with gentle cardamon flavour and a delicious crunchy almond topping.' Maybe we should all make one to have with a cup of tea when we meet up virtually next week!

      Delete
  4. Love this arrangement. The Brunnera sets off the narcissus to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie, I think this white and blue is quite a tranquil combination.

      Delete
  5. Rich colors and I love Arum, it would make frost worthwhile for me. Amelia - going to read the cardamom cake recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But with the frost there are also things one cannot grow outside, each climate gives place to wonderful wild vegetation, and here does suit Arum well.

      Delete
  6. What a perfect springtime vase with the white and blue, and an exquisite narcissus! Your coffee cake with cardamom sounds wonderful, so I'll peek at the recipe despite the very little baking I've done lately. Coffee cakes are some of my favorites. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you won't be disappointed Amy but there is no coffee in this cake as my explanation to Kris above explains, but I am also with you regarding coffee cake, with coffee and walnut being a favourite. When I have iced the cake, I pass a fine sprinkling of instant coffee granules through a sieve, pushing it with my fingers, just to give the cake that little extra hit of coffee.

      Delete
  7. Oh 'Pebble Mill' is a rather attractive look narcissus Noelle. How tall does it grow? Love the brunnera. Having enjoyed a couple of Lisa Jewell's book in the past I've just downloaded 'The Family Upstairs' on my Kindle for the bargain price of 99p. It sounds from what you say that I'm in for a treat 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anna it is quite a stunning one, and no wonder it is chosen for exhibitions and competitions. I am not sure how widely available it is, and it was a gift from the Wessex Society to our club. It would be great to have an email about your feelings regarding 'The Family Upstairs' when you have read it.

      Delete
    2. The Narcissus is about 35cm high and therefore a good sized one.

      Delete
  8. A Daffodil Society does sound so British and so civilised! How lovely to see many different varieties and then have tea and cake too. Your daffodil is a beautiful one, quite elegant. The Brunnera and Arum foliage complement it well without overpowering it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, I often go for 'understated' arrangements, in counter balance the wonderful variety and plenty in the garden.

      Delete