Saturday 22 April 2023

Six things from my garden this Saturday 22 April 2023

To start off with almost a whole paragraph from our host Jim may smack of plagiarism or filling this week's post simply with other people's words, but I had yet to find something which summed up my feelings about my own garden.  

"There’s a lack of coherence which doesn’t bother me because I’m quite happy to home in on a single small plant, even a single bloom. It just makes me a little uncomfortable when I think of other people coming round, most of whom will look at it as a whole."

I'm not sure I would say that about his garden though as each week we catch glimpses of plants from a true 'Master Gardener'.

Yesterday with friends from the WI gardening group we visited Westbrook House, which Mr S and I had visited before with the HPS, of course being far larger, there was room for wonderful design, and coherence using mass plantings of single species etc, and if I used those sorts of principles, with the size of the garden we have, I would probably manage only a handful of SOS a year, and lose out on the marvel of individual plants which is something that thrills me.

1.  The Parrot Tulips are starting to show some of those wonderful patterns and colours.


just a few days ago this is what it looked like a crumpled up green cabbage...next week superb exotic parrots will be hovering.


2. Looking quite stunning as well is Iberis sempervirens 'Snowflake'.  I took some cuttings last autumn, but there was very little root growth.  I've planted them out in a spare patch a couple of weeks ago for them to take their chance, and cut out the tiny flower buds as I would rather have better plants next year and good root growth this year. If they survive there will be two or three to plant around elsewhere. (succession planning), the rest to be given away.

Iberis sempervirens 'Snowflake'

3. I wanted to have something to hang some pigeon deterrent netting from, and rescued the arrows which were no longer required by the resident archer.  I'll be able to put my hand down the middle to pick these smaller mange tout which only grow to three foot high. Norli Dwarf  Mangetout Pea will hopefully suit my tiny plot far more the touring wigwams reaching far too high for me.


4. I was delighted to see the first flower of the season and looking like the only bloom on this Pulsatilla vulgaris subsp. grandis ’Papageno’, spending its first full year in the gravel garden,



5.  Pear Tree Concorde is trying its best after a completely flowerless year last year.  I do hope some of these get fertilised, Pear Beth is close by but only three of four flower clusters this year.




Pear Tree Concorde 
Yes, that is the big Persicaria Red Dragon growing up quickly!

6. The Iris season is starting off with Dwarf Bearded Iris Knick Knack. The clump was greatly reduced last year, with many pots given away.


The week ahead promises more lovely new blooms, and I'll be out there trying to avoid going down the side border where the Robins hatched about three days ago. Mum and Dad are busy catching spiders and caterpillars around the garden. It is quite a bit cooler this end of the week, and fleece is to the ready to cover the new strawberries which are just starting to flower.

Enjoy the coming week in the garden,







16 comments:

  1. You've got a spare patch? Oh gosh! Fill it promptly!
    I too have noted Jim's lack of coherence, but later he does introduce the concept of industry.
    Fingers crossed for an abundance of Pears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks my dear, that is exactly what I do, even if it is from my own divisions/cuttings, the plants are far happier there unless they are slug and snail bait. I am already counting my pears in my dreams!

      Delete
  2. The arrows made me chuckle - a great use for them! That Pulsatilla vulgaris is rather lovely. I always mutter a bit when tv garden experts advise against throwing something of everything into the garden - you should repeat plant and all that for cohesion. I understand what they're saying, but in a small garden you want to try growing as many different plants as you can. I tend to hope the box balls tie everything together in my garden and sometimes try and repeat colours rather than species of plants (although that's usually impossible when growing things from mixed packs of seeds!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have obviously been rather more attentive to the dictates of the gardening designer than me. I get it with repeats and do try to balance colours, though I then visit a garden where they break the rules and it works.

      Delete
  3. On your topic of restraint v a bit of everything, I recall Russel Page (he of the grand and rather restrained European gardens) saying his own ideal would be a patchwork of small square beds in which he could grow different treasures to admire.
    Your dwarf bearded iris is rather lovely and I'm wishing I planted some parrot tulips - one for next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this is my garden rather than one for show, square beds would need too many paths, and less gardening space here, but otherwise I totally understand Russel Page.

      Delete
  4. I smiled when I saw the arrows planted and I could recycle those of my children... I don't know the pear 'Concorde', I hope you'll have plenty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew it in my previous garden. It is the best I think, a cross between Comice and Conference, and the flavour and texture is very good too.

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful pear tree - the white blossom is a delight to look at. The Iberis 'Snowflake' also caught my attention, as did the dwarf Bearded Iris. Clever (and fun) use of the arrows :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Concorde is supposed to be partly self fertile so you ought to get a bit of a crop. I don't think I've ever seen a Pulsatilla with petals like that, it's a beauty that needs to go on my wanted list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before you add this one, if you can source them, you may find this AGS talk interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M61MIBIjVeI

      Delete
  7. I think that quote at the top of your post sums up my feelings about my garden too Noelle 😂 I love your creative use of those arrows and that deliciously dark pulsatilla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, Jim really summed it up well, and those arrows just catch the net well at the top. The flights stop the netting from falling down.

      Delete
  8. Lovely parrot tulips

    ReplyDelete
  9. Parrot Tulips are so fascinating. Great idea to use the arrows for the wiring structure. Everything you show here is impressive. Love the Pulsatilla!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good plans to stop the pesky pigeons, they are a nuisance.

    ReplyDelete