Monday 17 April 2023

In a Vase on Monday - Snowflakes and Victorian Lace

 It was great to meet some of the In a Vase on Monday crew yesterday.  Cathy who set up this weekly get together, is now bringing us together from time to time via a zoom meeting.  I had not read the full email sending us the links, and therefore I was not prepared properly.  We were to have prepared each of us, to talk about about favourite garden book.  I scribbled widely as people talked about their suggestions.  In the second half Annette talked us through how she best deals with the drought and high temperatures during the summer time, as experienced in Central France and in a rain shadow area high up in Switzerland which although a little cooler also lacks previous rainfall amounts.

Here in the UK in the South West it has been a cooler and wetter April than the previous few years, but it is still best to be prepared for the summer months, so many tips from Annette's talk are now on my action list.

If I were to skim read through the list of flowers then maybe Snowflakes and Victoria Lace would jump out, and that is how I arrived at the title for today's vase.  And you thought I ought to be showing Victorian Lace covered with snowflakes, well in terms of flowers and plants from the garden I hope these will please you just as much.



The squirrels, yes we  have several have been nibbling at the acer, and only one branch low down escaped the grazing.  It looked quite strange only a couple of feet or so from the ground, so these few leaves from my prunning off of this, is joining in as the soft green element. The Victorian lace element is in the little Primula Victoria Gold Lace, and the snowflakes are from Iberis sempervirens 'Snowflake'.  The yellow flowers at the back are those of Epimedium versicolor sulphureum, and joining the vase for the first time is Persicaria runcinata Purple Fantasy.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Cathy and others vases are like this week.

16 comments:

  1. A lovely arrangement, but I must admit it wasn't what I was expecting. I guess I didn't know the snowflakes and Victorian Lace really were, but you have educated me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was just trying to have a dig at myself for not being prepared and for the life of me can't understand what was on my mind reading Cathy's post so lackadaisically. The title came from a similar approach to the list of plant material.

      Delete
  2. Love that yellow primula....beautiful combo of all sorts of plants from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, I try to make sure different plants get to have their moment, but when I look at previous years many fail to be chosen, but I don't know why.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see your persicaria as I noticed my Purple Fantasy had reappeared after its winter slumber too - and I desperately need to split my Red Dragon soon! I wasn't sure what to expect from your title, so all the contents were a surprise today, and don't they make a prett combination, especially with the sullied acer foliage to set them off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Red Dragon is huge now, and to think it is not the first plant but a cutting of a cutting or a cutting. It is a must have plant in the garden, That was the only big of the acer not to be sullied mind, the rest of the tree consists of just chew off ends at present.

      Delete
  4. Oh that is a beautiful combination Noelle with all the components picking up on each other so well. The primula is deliciously dark. It was good to see you and everyone else again yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, I love primulas and auriculas and used to grow some show ones, I wouldn't show them anymore, but have recently acquired a few additional ones.

      Delete
  5. Oh I do love this vase Noelle! I actually forgot about your title as I was distracted by that gorgeous Persicaria foliage and the yellow Epimedium. My Persicarias die back completely in winter, so that was a surprise for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do mine, they have started in leaf a few weeks ago. Of course I have the Red Dragon, but this one I had admired for two or three years and got it last year from a HPS member's stall.

      Delete
  6. Squirrels will eat maple leaves?! I don't know why I'm surprised as the furry little devils will seemingly try anything but I am. You put together an unusual but very lovely arrangement, Noelle. The Epimedium is wonderful - and on the very long list of plants I wish I could grow in my climate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, the squirrels break off about 20cms of the young Acer stems, sit on the nearby fence and eat every little bit. I'm going to make some chilli paste this morning and smear it on the stems to see whether that is effective. My tree is diminished extensively this year. There are some tempting Epimediums out there, but I have limited shade and I have taken this one with me for about twenty five years now.

      Delete
  7. Glad to see you yesterday even if only for a few minutes. I was unprepared as well--it was the time that stumped me. Iberis is one of my favorite favorites. So lovely to see it in your vase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We missed you Susie, and because I have so little out in the garden at present, one of those inbetween times, that I took what I had, and this morning I am pleased to say that everything is still fresh and standing up very nicely.

      Delete
  8. Pretty Epimedium, I was puzzling over what that could be? Squirrels eating the Jap Maple, arrghhh. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amelia, yes it is chillied twigs for them for a while unless of course they get a taste for it!

      Delete