Saturday 15 April 2023

Six on Saturday - Mid April 2023

What a week it has been, so much rain, and really heavy gales with thunder and lighting, I believe it was the 'Tempête française Noa' that did for us. When the houseplants needed a water, out they went, just for a few minutes though. I am joining in with Jim as usual where we may commiserate or admire or learn, and Jim is usually at hand (or away 'working' on a lecture tour,) to add advice, admire, or commiserate, if he isn't doing something really important..(garden wise)

1. Tetraneuris scaposa has been in the ground just a few days now.  This is a real close up filling the frame close up, later when it has filled out, I shall take a picture that adds scale and contect.  I saw it on the Potterton's Stall at the Yeo Valley HPS plant sale a few weeks back, and after a chat about it with Rob, it was added to the slowly increasing collection behind the counter, each time I passed one would be added, then ready for collection at the end of the day.  Yesterday it had just started to open its first flowers.  I love yellow and just look at the beauty of this yellow daisy.  I am intrigued to see if it sets viable seed. I have yet to see what form it takes, how long are its stems, and also whether it will withstand the conditions, but I love a new type of plant, and hope this is successful.


Tetraneuris scaposa

 2. Last year from the Alpine Garden Society I received some viola seed, amongst which I had two successes.  On of them was for Viola Corsica.  I had placed two or three seedling in each of two clumps which have thankfully come through the winter and are already in full flower.  When one thinks how dry and hot it was last summer, both the clumps one in full sun as here and another in semi shade have also come through a very wet and cold winter, not that they were ever waterlogged.

Viola corsica

I am particularly pleased that the seed I collected last autumn from the garden are germinating.  I shall need to monitor the seedlings and see what the flowers come out as, as I have Viola Tricolor and Viola Bowles Black growing close by, my naiety is here exposed, I have no idea regarding hybridisation of viola. Some of the Bowles Black have regrown from seed just cast where the previous plants were growing and these have come true to form, though I do understand that it may be in subsequent generations that differences may occur.

3. Primula Port and Lemon is a delightful component of the Conservatory/Millefleurs border. On dark days it shines with its yellow petals. Bought in 2021, it has expanded and benefits well from division. When the stems of the young leaves show the 'port' the flowers have very short tems, but as the weeks go by, the stem elongates slightly the blooms droop elegantly, giving a relaxed elegant look to the plant.


4. In the front garden the species Tulips are up but are keeping shut pending warmth and sunshine. I'll leave these to form seed and sow these just around the plant, rather than nurture the seed in pots over a number of years. I love its form and it doesn't flop yet holds its blooms for longer than some of the other species tulips. Please note the sunny spell....it didn't last long!

Tulipa Whittalii Major

5.  The Hardy Chrysanthemums from Halls of Heddon were very well packaged in moss with good labels. All are potted up but are in the shed by the window to help save them from some of the ravages of weather. 

On the subject of Chrysanthemums, the HPS one is not yet showing any signs of growth in fact since February is has shown less and less, it may be that Chrysanthemum Picasso has not survived.  Perhaps it is not that hardy, and I ought to have lifted and stored half a clump in the shed overwinter. I hope I can get a piece back from somebody, and I promise to take a piece into the shed during the winter. On the other hand Chrysanthemum Hillside Apricot is covered over with many healthy looking shoots.

6. I nipped out yesterday a took a picture of Phlox bifida Ralph Haywood on the posing shelf yesterday it would look a lot better against a different coloured background but it was too cold and damp to spend time moving it.  The ones in the gravel garden need a little sun and warmth to get going.





11 comments:

  1. Lovely! And you’ve reminded me I wanted some hardy chrysanthemums… oh dear, so many plants on the wish list! I shall be like Miss Wilmott and bankrupt myself, spending on plants!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Budgeting regarding plants and sundries, each year I say I ought to, I've already lost count! Good job I have a small garden.

      Delete
  2. It's been a horrible week weather wise. It is amazing that the plants can put up with it. I look forward to seeing how your Chrysanthemum purchases do. It's not a plant group that I've ventured in to yet.
    Thanks for telling me about the Talking Dirty podcasts the other week. I'd not listened to them before and there are loads, but I did track down the one on dahlias and found it very informative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The link to your post on your post isn't working, but may be able to get it it somehow. I reckon you ought to get yourself invited to taking on that Podcast and promote Alpines..which of course I love!

      Delete
  3. It's funny to talk about the "French storm Noa", while we here were talking about the "English storm Noa"! Nevertheless, there was no damage, but a lot of gusts of wind. Pretty flowers as always can't wait to see the phlox here in bloom

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I can catch some Molly Sanderson seed, would you like it? Lovely plants this week, I've never heard of Tetra-thingy, always an education, Sis. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kind of you to ask Sis, but I do have a small dark pansy but I prefer brighter colours, it is something to do with my eyesight. However I would love to see pictures on your posts of course! Of course you may have seed of the Blue Viola, I shall catch some towards the end of the year.

      Delete
  5. N20gardener here. Couldn't see the like button but that's probably me! The violets are stunning. What a success story. Like you I am longing for a few more sunny spells.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely six, especially the resurging violas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think we avoided the thunder and lightening here - just the wet and the gales. Viola corsica is very lovely indeed - it will be interesting to see what the offspring are like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The little yellow daisy is really cute and I love the intense colour of the Viola Corsica. Tulipa Whittalii Major is one I’d be happy to have in the garden, it’s particularly lovey.

    ReplyDelete