Sunday 9 April 2023

Pelargonium Ardens grown with caudex showing

 Let me take you through my experience with Pelargonium Ardens.  I am just an amateur gardener, but interested in plants and enjoy doing slightly different things. I only have a very few Pelargoniums.

I first acquired two little plug plants of Pelargonium ardens in 2018, as part of a challenge of growing a plant we had chosen to feature on Henton Gardening Club website of which I was webmaster. I wrote a short post then little knowing that they would still be going five years later. I had watched 'Potted Jewels' regarding this cultivar, and her video on propagating this Pelargonium. 

This is an extract from Woottens of Wenhaston, who are National Collection Holders.

Species Hybrid. Small intense scarlet red flowers with dark markings. Although appearing equal in size the two upper are larger. Flowers are borne on tall stems away from the foliage. Established plants have thick stems with an almost papery bark. If allowed can be lax in habit, preventable by repotting and ‘burying’. Tuberous, and propagated on the nursery using tubers as well as cuttings. Cuttings are difficult to strike and are usually taken from inch tall flowering stems before bloom in February. Early flowering March – July. Grey green soft foliage. Tends to go dormant in early summer. New leaves are often produced in early winter. Ht. 40cm. Sp. 35cm. Water very little during dormant season.
A wonderful plant, unique and beautiful.
A primary species hybrid of P. lobatum (1698) and P. fulgidum. Other successful hybrids of these two include P. x schottii
Introduced in 1817. Lee.

Having successfully propagated P x Ardens, I decided last year to remove it from the original pot it was grown in. In January 2019, having cut it back it successfully grew several crowns and gave an excellent display that year.

By Summer last year the plant was quite root bound, but as the pot was far too valuable to break, there was no alternative but to use everything including an old bread knife to extract it carefully so as not to cause the pot any damage.



Finally out of the pot, and thinking some mouse or squirrel would maybe enjoy it over the winter, chucked it onto the accumulation of dry leaves at the foot of the stone wall behind a shrub.


This week when having a good tidy up by the wall, I came across the root still sitting on top, quite untouched, which surprised me as I thought it would have been utterly damaged by the wet and freezing weather this winter. It was even sporting some healthy green growth.




I had been a member of the IGS for a couple of years and had much admired pictures of plants grown with the caudex showing.  I chose to leave as I did not wish to grow many different types of species, but learnt much and admired many beautifully grown plants. 

How do I explain caudex when I have no experience of such things. I found a very good explanation:

'The term "caudex" is used in botany to describe the thickened, woody caudiciform stem of a plant that grows just above or below the ground. The caudex is an important part of the plant, providing support and storing nutrients and water for periods of drought.' (Caudex Plants)

I have tried to look for examples of Pelargonium Ardens grown with an exposed caudex, and it could be that I am the first to try this.  Nothing ventured...

This is what it looks like potted up yesterday



At the same time I put up the other two specimens the first on the original in the 'wrong' shaped pot which I have yet to extricate showing the longer stems



and two cuttings taken three years ago, in a half pan already starting in flower.


I'll give an update on the success or otherwise of the caudex exposed specimen.  









1 comment:

  1. Interesting.

    Usually I don't grow Pelargonium with big roots above the ground. They don't grow like this in situ.

    But it's true that it is beautiful. With appropriate care I think there is no problems giving P. X 'Ardens' is a toug one.

    ReplyDelete