Monday 25 September 2023

Chrysanthemum Chatsworth In a Vase on Monday

I'm back from a little break just in time to pose my Vase this Monday.  As usual I am joining in with Cathy, but having missed a few weeks, have some catching up to do. 

I have used Chrysanthemum White Gem (21f) before and having started in early July, it is still offering up flowers and has several yet to come.  The second Chrysanthemum is a gorgeous double bronze coloured called Chatsworth 921b).  With Chrysanthemums originating from China it was almost automatic that the beautiful cloisonné vase which my mother bought for me on her tour of China, was to be today's vase, with its lovely rich brown colours.

Chrysanthemum 'Chatsworth' a lovely rich orangey bronze


The Chrysanthemum Chatsworth plant has a great form, with strong stems having blooms well arranged, here there are just two stems. This in my opinion is the best of the Chrysanthemums in the garden at the moment. The  spoon billed Chrysanthemum White Gem is a little more lax in its growth and these were picked from one which ought really have ben staked.  The may well straighten up in the vase over the next few days.  I haven't had time to condition these blooms and they are just minutes from having been cut.

The greenery is made up of winter green fern Polypodium cambricum Richard Kayse, a few leaves from Mahonia Soft Caress., some variegated ivy and Persicaria Red Dragon. 

9 comments:

  1. I really love how you incorporated different foliage to accompany these lovely flowers. I need to remember foliage for my vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Foliage is such a good thing in a vase, and often I just have the greenery, even small branches from trees. The form against a plain background is very pleasing and it also holds up the flowers in the vase.

      Delete
  2. I have dabbled with hardy chrysanths this year too, but have kept them in pots where they are doing OK but not brilliantly - need to decide whether to plant them out... Your Chatsworth one is superb in colour though and I may be tempted to add it if I am ordering anything else from Haddons from next year. Of course, your vase is absolutely spot-on, giving such an elegant appearance to the display.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, I had Chrysanthemum Triumph in a pot, but it is more of a Cushion Type, it is doing quite well, but I much prefer the form of C. Chatsworth. I must look up to see who best to overwinter these chrysanthemums, as I lost one last year which I was supposed to be looking after for the HPS.

      Delete
  3. I wish I could grow chrysanthemums, They're surprisingly uncommon plants here (outside of florist shops). The few plants that can be found locally are sad, runty-looking things, available just before our Thanksgiving holiday. Your vase selection was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I doubt that Chrysanthemum would enjoy the Mediterranean type of weather, but with your huge range of flowers, at least you have something different to look at here. I've only just started to grow a small range, and they are quite useful this late in the seadon.

      Delete
  4. These are two lovely specimens Noelle. I only grow the sorts with very small flowers as they do not flop in the rain, but I love seeing the larger sorts. You do have a nice vase for them too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An attractive duo of chrysanthemums Noelle. My favourite is 'Chatsworth' with it's decidedly autumnal colouring. I have a few chrysanthemums now and a friend kindly gifted me another two today 😂 They're all in pots for now but I must decide what to do with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chrysanthemum Chatsworth is indeed the best one, but I do have another one still in tight bud. I look forward to seeing or reading about your chrysanthemums. Are they are the hardy garden type?

      Delete