Monday 4 September 2023

In a Vase on Monday - cooling down

Now I wish it wasn't so hot!  We went for a nice walk this morning, and the temperature was 26 C when we got back before lunch.  In the sitting room, where we tend to rest and cool down after a walk,  the arrangement belies the temperatures outside, and I dare say the sun will cause burning on the rose petals on the blooms in the garden. We have no aircon or fans, but close the double glazing and draw curtains and shut blinds on the sunny side. It does help.


The container today is the smaller of my two pewter tankards, and besides the arrangement is a piece of the interesting twig of magnolia  saved when I visited my friend's garden.  The pale cream rose is Rose Home Florist Timeless Cream which is slightly less pink than earlier in the year.  The Aster is the Italian Aster 'King George' and since the Pittosporum Tom Thumb needed a little pruning, it was useful for filling out the arrangement.

I'm joining Cathy as usual, where others who make arrangements from garden grown flowers join up each Monday. 

13 comments:

  1. The aster works really well with the rose - such a pretty combination of colours. I caught a scrap of Gardeners Question Time yesterday and pittosporum was suggested as a good foliage plant for flower arranging - how much do you prune yours? I looked at mine yesterday and thought it perhaps do with a prune, but I haven't pruned it before and would need to check it out first

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prune if it is going too wide, too tall, I take snips off from time to time. To date I have not done anything drastic. I've just looked on The Tropical Guy's Site, he has other articles on Pittosporum if you search his site. https://tropicalplantguy.com/blogs/what-is-pittosporum-and-what-can-it-be-used-for/

      Delete
  2. Sorry, that was me - forgot to change it from anonymous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a beautiful color combination, Noelle, and I appreciate the artistic twig too. 26C (79F) is considered relatively cool here in coastal southern California ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris, these last couple of days the temperatures are rising, and with the lower sun, this must be the hottest September I remember.

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous roses with that light purple....stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna, I just start with one item then look around the garden to find things to go with it, the roses were the starting point this week.

      Delete
  5. A most pleasing colour combination Noelle. The rose seems to have a peachy tone to it. Hot here too today but fortunately our living room faces north which is a blessing at times. I hope that you managed to cool down after your walk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A good book and finding things that don't need cooking for dinner, is the way to spend the afternoon, Orientation of a house or rooms within in also help as in your case.

      Delete
  6. Hi Noelle. It's warm here too, but thankfully not that warm. Hope you can keep the house cool. The rose is a lovely colour and I like your aster too. Well, I like all asters I think! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too like Asters and it finding the ones that suit the garden, not too tall for a small garden, and just the right colour. I look forward to seeing some of yours.

      Delete
  7. I like the colors, too. And would enjoy your temperature immensely.. Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your roses are beautiful Noelle and I love the way you've arranged them. Colors work great.

    ReplyDelete