Saturday 16 September 2023

Six on Saturday - Soggy Saturday

After a hot dry weather, today it is soggy. and from the weather forecast we are in for soggy days till the end of September.  Up till now no stacking has been needed but we shall see what happens over the next few days. Every Saturday Jim sets up the anchoring post for Six on Saturday, I am joining in with the 'gang' again. 


1.  I love a good Aster such as this Italian Aster King George is King of Garden this week.  Two clumps are giving the impression of a hedging plant.

So much do I like asters at the moment, than on a day out to Watchet on the steam train on Wednesday I succumbed to Fish and Chips, beer in a quirky pub, ice cream, books of poetry, and a very blue double Aster.  I guess now I have to find a place for it.


2.  It is coming to the time when I need to think about moving the succulents from the shelf to places either in the shed, the house, the canopy by the front door or the conservatory.  Unfortunately I love to propagate and now have a few to share, which is harder than you think. 


Aeonium Velour is already under the shelter of the canopy by the front door, and that seems to be a good half way house before the conservatory.


3.  Gardens, plants and skills are for sharing and this week 'Cucumber' Kate came over with some lovely old terracotta pots which she has to spare, and some cucumbers. Yes it raining for the first time this morning, and I as soon as I finish this, I am out to rescue the pots set them to dry and store until needed.


We spent some time chatting and I was able to share seed, show her how to take cuttings from Salvia Amistad, and give her some nicely rooted succulent cuttings.

4. Just by coincidence after writing my post last week, I bought a fig tree and have now planted it.  Since then I read that Fred has a very productive tree and I am looking forward to getting tips on growing great fruit successfully. This year I received separate lots of figs from two friends and was impressed by the quality and sweetness of the fruit.  Hope I live to enjoy many years from this one.

Fig 'Brown Turkey'

5.  A few weeks back I went the Summer HPS lunch, this was the first time I had been to such an event, mainly because the other annual events had been a little too far away from home.  After lunch we brought the plants we had to share, and there were some wonderful ones too.  Before this I had on my list a rose that I had wanted to grow for a number of years, and which my friend Kay had in her garden in Kenilworth.  Although she has now moved, we had some discussions about the possibility of my growing it against the back wall, and her advice was go ahead.  It was on my list to buy as soon as the work with the trees was completed.  There amongst the plants was a good sturdy Rosa banksiae 'Lutea'. Was that 'serendipity' again?  I nearly didn't go as I was on 'model railway' duty, but Mr S managed to find someone else to help him.


6.  I really cannot find room to squeeze much more into the garden, and I know there are bulbs everywhere, but I couldn't resist a few small purchases at the Rare Plant Fair last Sunday: a couple of ferns, and a handful of Crocus 'Dorothy' bulbs.


Fern Cheilanthes lanosa (grey felty) - Fern Asplenium x ebenoides









15 comments:

  1. That's rather exciting regarding the new fig tree and those asters are smashing. We were in Minehead on Wednesday. Not done the steam train for quite a few years now but we did the trams in Seaton, Devon, on Thursday which was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh we do like the Seaton Tram too. I like the leisurely rides these vintage restored vehicles. My sister and partner who live in Spain couldn't believe the number of enthusiastic volunteers that keep these attractions going.

      Delete
  2. Love the Asters and your rose sounds like the perfect buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a buy, it was just a take what you would like. The plants I took were appreciated too. It is a sharing lunch with everyone one taking something, and sharing plants afterwards.

      Delete
  3. I adore figs and would love a tree - supposedly there are some varieties one might be able to grow here. I saw Centennial Garden had on in a pot, but they may move it to a conservatory on campus for winter. Yours may want more space? It looks pretty close to the wall for a tree. Good luck and good future eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This fig is hardy in the UK, and it is about 40cm from the wall against which it will be trained as a fan. The wall is high and with over 20 feet wide, but the roots are restricted. It will in any way may a nice leafy covering for the wall except in winter of course.

      Delete
  4. Those are lovely asters and I love that rose. I saw one at Overbecks house near Salcombe many years ago and it has stayed with me since then as it was stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it flowers early in the year, and I have seen some wonderful displays, the pale yellow blooms will be perfect, and then they will be over when the cream, pink and maroon roses in front are doing their thing. I try to have a change of colour theme over the seasons to have a bit of a change in a small garden.

      Delete
  5. A beautiful pair of asters Noelle. I can imagine your joy at being given a stash of terracotta pots - a precious gift and what a stroke of luck at finding your wish list rose. Is that the one with yellow flowers that flowers early in the year?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the pots as I use them for my special cyclamen and I have a few seedlings from the Cyclamen Society coming on nicely. Yes you are spot on with the rose, early flowering small yellow with pliable stems, so I hope to train it right along the wall in due course.

      Delete
  6. Hello Noelle, this week I have a lot to say! Asters are safe bets in our autumn gardens. At the moment, I still have the aeoniums and the crassula that are outside, and I will have to bring them in, you're right.
    Regarding the fig tree, I posted a special one, as you asked me and you will be able to find some advice there.
    Yours is quite close to the wall but if you guide it well, it can be magnificent and take advantage of the heat to produce good fruit.
    Finally, for the Banks rose, I planted mine in a similar situation 3 years ago and now it is huge! It gives me beautiful flowers every spring. Good luck with yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall go over to your blog and learn all I can about figs. That wall is south facing and very sunny, all I will have to do is water it! I hope my rose flowers in three years time too Fred.

      Delete
  7. The Aeonium at the left end of your shelf makes me nervous just looking at it. We have too many terracotta pots stored outside still, I was sorting through piles of frost shattered shards yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nervous it will fall on in a wind? It is very sheltered there, but in any case you are right if we were to have gales, I have moved it to the porch now, and in a few week's time it will be in the conservatory.

      Delete
  8. Meep! All this talk of figs is sorely tempting me to order the hardy figs I saw at a local nursery a few months ago. I have just a slight obsession with collecting fruit trees...

    ReplyDelete