Saturday 30 September 2023

Six on Saturday at the end of September 2023

The signs of Autumn are spreading only very slowly across the garden, since there is still plenty of colour. Already this week, in addition to those for 'In a Vase on Monday', I have picked two further lovely bouquets from a small garden. Like many gardeners, I am considering what to remove, or move or take cuttings of to overwinter. I'll probably be inspired further as I visit Jim whose anchor for SOS I attach this post to, and all the other gardeners who join in this week.

1. The Hydrangea flowers are already fading.....


2. Some flowers are just really coming up their peak such as this lovely Chrysanthemum Starlet (21f) and no apologies for having only recently shown this one.  I just love the shape of the petals.


3. Another favourite autumn flower is that of the Cyclamen hederifolium, silver leaved form nestling under the silver leaved Fuchsia Silver Linings.


4. Just before our break I was admiring the little Helianthemum which I bought this year, all the label said was 'yellow'!  Before I was very much drawn to the silver leaved forms which I planted in the front Mediterranean garden, but lately I have enjoyed the healthy deep green leaves on this one, which has been in flower for ages.


I liked it was much that several cuttings were taken (instructions and  a great collection via the link). They are getting away in their little pot, which should yield some good plants ready to plant out next spring.


5. Leafy plants too make an impact in the garden, and some are just emerging, and will brighten the garden throughout the winter.

Arum italicum var. pictum

6.  I usually bring back a plant souvenir from a holiday, but apart enjoying the trees, landscape, glasshouses etc at Bicton Park, sadly there were no good books on the history of the garden, planting etc. I did find an old publication on line and am expecting that any time now.  Having just read through 'Flower Hunters' by the Gribbins,  I had a better feel and appreciation for the effort that plant hunters took to bring back seed from around the world, which owners of wealth and land such as at Bicton Park grew, and their legacy years down the line as the trees reach maturity.

I brought back slate plant labels made on site at A la Ronde, from the old roof tiles  following refurbishment of the top part of the roof around the chimneys. They are Delabole slate, I shall use them for my special plants in pots.  I'll probably have to experiment to find the best way of writing on them.




Eryngium Planum Tetre Petra, Eryngium Silver Ghost, and the small pretty pale yellow Scabiosa columbaria subsp. ochroleuca, all the seed heads gathered before the wet weather are now dried and slowing having the heaviest of the 'chaff' removed. 



If anyone would like some of one or more, send me a separate comment with your name and address which won't be uploaded to the site, and I shall post them to you.  This applies to friends and SOSs only by the way.  Any balance will be taken to the next HPS meeting I go to. 

15 comments:

  1. I really like the idea of slate plant labels. It's better than plastic, you're right! While walking around the garden this morning, I also noticed that the hydrangea flowers are starting to turn colour. This will definitely be a topic for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the markings on the arum, and the combination of the fuchsia and cyclamen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combination does work nicely, and as it has been going for several years now, is more or less a permanent combination, though snowdrops do come up in that area early spring.

      Delete
  3. Cyclamen are looking lovely as ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the shape of the petals on Chrysanthemum Starlet - most unusual. Those slate labels are a great idea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those slate labels were a real bargain too! I think because they were made on site, and a really good upcycling rather than going to landfill. I used to have a whole lot of real full size slates when I have my allotment and used them to made shallow raised beds. Nobody had seen anything like that before and it was surprising how many other people adopted that..skips were raided in the area to be sure.

      Delete
  5. It looks like your garden is still doing well. It's very much autumn here in Wales and it's been a very wet & windy weekend so far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like the newly emerging arum leaves it must be so exciting to see your cyclamen hederifolium in flower Noelle. Those are most solid and attractive looking labels and will look good with your special potted plants.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow slate labels! I often bring back garden souvenirs from holidays. That Chrysanthemum is superb! 💛🌼

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sarah Rajkotwala1 October 2023 at 15:47

    The above comment was me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sarah, the labels were a bargain, and I love various stones and rocks, and have slate in places as mats in my conservatory.

      Delete
  9. I got some slate labels for my roses and peonies this autumn as well, they're so pretty! What sort of marker will you use to write with? Also, I would love to try that yellow scabiosa but have no idea if you're even allowed to mail them out this way anymore :-( Post has become confusing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just checked about the sending the seed from the UK to USA and there are permits and certificates etc to be sought which is not really feasible, sorry.

      Delete