Monday 10 October 2022

In a Vase on Monday - Simplicity

Colour and complexity has its place, but sometimes I like a calm and simple outlook. The weather has been ideal of gardening and I've been moving plants or cutting back herbaceous plants.  This scabious has been wonderful this year and offering up its blooms to any passing insect to feed from its small individual flowers.

I salvaged a few stems of Scabiosa columbaria subsp. ochroleuca and here they are on the edge of the mantleshelf in the low autumn light.


I recently read two books which may have influenced today's offering.  Mr Mac and Me is a fictional book, which amongst others featured Charles Rennie Mackintosh, which led me to revisiting some of his interiors and art on line. I wrote a post about the book recently.  The second book which our WI book group were reading was The Glass Room by Simon Mawer which featured The Landauer House.

We are going off to Stourhead sometime this week to marvel at their landscape in its autumn colours, which are now coming to their peak, following a few much cooler nights.  For colour I am sure Cathy and others will have plenty this week, as they also show their Vases on Monday. 

11 comments:

  1. Lovely Noelle - scabious is such a good do-er, isn't it? I aim to add some of the annual varieties to the borders next year but will look out some hardier ones to sow too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Cathy, and really loved by insects. I love their shape.

      Delete
  2. A most pleasing and graceful scabious Noelle and such an attractive vase. Did you grow the scabious from seed? The shadows on the wall are a brilliant extra 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna, yes I grew it from seed. Alison and I were at the Wells plant fair, and she bought the plant and I grabbed a seed head off it. Another friend asked about that, and I am about to go and check the discards to see if there is any dried seed.

      Delete
  3. Your simple arrangement creates a relaxed and contemplative mood, Noelle, suitable to the changing season. It's shadow amplifies its impact beautifully too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris, that is just what my psyche required.

      Delete
  4. I love the interesting shadow thrown by your scabiosa bunch, Noelle. Pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, natural light can have a pleasing effect.

      Delete
  5. Simply wonderful. Stourhead is a favorite of mine, I wish I could join you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am grateful for that lovely calm vase Noelle, as everyone else is showing off their bright dahlias this week! I love this Scabiosa and it does look so elegant on its own in your atmospheric light.

    ReplyDelete