Saturday 15 October 2022

Six on Saturday - 15 October 2022

It has been perfect gardening weather, and all is well. Except that I am plagued for several of those rats with big furry tails burying acorns amongst my plants: daily picking up of acorns and unburrying of plants is required.

1. It is mid October so Allium thunbergii Ozawa is all the more special with its fresh deep mauve blooms.  It has fine leaves so is inconspicuous for all the time it is up, and then the blooms open late Autumn to bring a little spot of colour to the gravel garden.


2. With its deep green leaves and short stemmed blue flowers, Globularia cordifolia or heart leaved globe daisy is a plant that graces the edge of the gravel garden.  It seems to be one of those 'silly flowers' that has been fooled by the strange weather we are having, and is coming into flower in the autumn for a change to its normal spring/early summer slot.


3. Last  week a few book club friends were admiring the Salvia African Sky, and I gave an impromptu cuttings demonstration to Maggie.  I've since set a few cuttings and hopefully we shall have rooted cuttings to overwinter and pot up next spring and into the garden for flowering next year.   Two plastic fruit punnets are an easy temporary propagator, though it would be better if the cuttings didn't touch the top, I shall look for a deeper punnet. I suggested a large plastic bottle sectioned into two, our tonic comes in glass bottles, so this had to do.


4. The Chrysanthemum Picasso is starting to open: 





5. This is picture of items bought at Wells Food festival last Sunday, and a chiili plant and Murraya koenigii aka Curry Leaf plant was snapped up but held at the stall for us.  A couple of hours later we arrived back to  claim my plants, and all the rest had been sold.



 Curry Leaf Plant : those who have never used it, will not appreciate just what a few leaflets can do to elevate a curry or spicy lentil or bean stew, or a spicy tomato sauce.  In Mauritian gardens, where cooking is taken seriously,   a curry leaf plant is de rigeur in the garden. However each morning paniers of fresh dew covered leaves find their ways to the morning markets.  Winter care in the UK requires warmth and care with watering.  I felt it was overpotted and could succumb over winter, so I repotted it in a very tall large longtom, which just happened to be empty.



 6. Salvia Amistad is recovering from heat exhaustion and drought, and I am pleased to report that two good rooted cuttings have been potted out singularly ready to bulk up for planting out next spring.



I'm off the county HPS meeting and will sure to take a stem of Chrysanthemum Picasso for everyone to admire and add to their want lists.  We are having Andrew Ward from Norwell Nurseries come to give us a talk, and I am hoping I can get him interested in propagating and selling this.

Linking in as usual with many others under 'The Propagator's' Protection.  I read this week that Jon is passing the baton so to speak to Jim.  In the weekly team SOS, Jim is a very worthy lead as he has been in this SOS from the start five years ago, on his Blog: Garden Ruminations.

Looking ahead to the snowdrop season which if you grow the early ones, it already has, the HPS Galanthus talks start the year with a Zoom talk.  I am sure the Prop won't mind me adding this to the notice board of which SOS really is. I have heard Paddy talk about snowdrops before, and £7.50 is well worth paying, or if you are a member of HPS it is £3.00, the annual membership of the Galanthus Group is only a little more, and the talk is free to members.

From Lyn Miles:

Re;  Paddy Tobin’s zoom on Wednesday October 26th, 7.30pm

Many of you will know how good Paddy’s last zoom was!!
This is just to say in order to bring in some extra funds into the bank account we are opening some spaces to this first zoom of the season to anyone for a cost of £7.50.

All  members receiving this email will get the free advance link sent to them about one week before the day… and for HPS members not in our group the charge is as before, £3 per zoom, they just need to email me for payment details.

So if you have any ‘galanthophile’ friends not in the HPS you can give them my email and they can request details from me as to how to pay the £7.50.

It is also a perfect time to join the HPS and Galanthus Group as, if you joined now you would be paid up until the end of Dec ’23… and with 4 free zooms and 3 newsletters between now and then what better time to join! (Not to mention everything going on mid-Feb!)

14 comments:

  1. Off now to take Anisodontea cuttings and to sort out my Chrysanths. If ever a blog came like a poke in the ribs.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This what the sharing is about, as I read other posts I have my pen and paper ready to make notes, then head out to the garden to get some cleared.

      Delete
  2. I gave up digging up the acorns as soon as the squirrels buried them. I expect them to be 5cm and they are still easy to pull off. But there are many every year! Did you add rooting hormones to your salvia cuttings? And kept at a cool or warm place ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just pick up the ones on the surface, and you are right the little trees are very easy to grub up. I haven't used hormone rooting powder for over 20 years! I have just put the cuttings in the shed by the window. As soon as I think they have rooted I shall take them and pot them somewhere sheltered out of doors..not too much wet or cold, up by the house.

      Delete
    2. OK thank you ! (And I have to google this curry leaf plant I've been hearing about for a long time. To grow here! Thanks for the link)

      Delete
    3. Fred, your Sister would probably be able to send you seed from Reunion.

      Delete
  3. Lovely Chrysanthemum, the colour is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a delight, and a beautiful shape that does not require staking.

      Delete
  4. I have a feeling my mother-in-law gave me Salvia African Sky last year. It is lovely. As is Chrysanthemum Picasso - wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very pleased to say that the Wards at Norwell Nurseries have accepted to take it on to sell probably in a couple of years. I will be sending them plants in the spring for them to bulk up.

      Delete
  5. Here those rats are having fun burying chestnuts in all sorts of obscure places. They usually manage to get one over me and I only realise when I see little seedlings emerging! That chrysanthemum is a a gorgeous colour Noelle. I'm guessing that it is hardy. I'm really looking forward to Paddy Tobin's talk too 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they are perfectly hardy, and came through the hot weather unwatered. I took cutting this early spring and these are the plants. Yes Paddy does rattle along with some great descriptions and snowdrops.

      Delete
  6. I hope you have an enjoyable talk from Norwell Nurseries. They are reasonably local to me and I've bought some great plants from there including this weeks Toad Lily and last week's asters.
    I did buy some dried curry leaves once which were tasteless. I obviously need to upgrade to a plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Andrew certainly gave a perfect talk, lots of descriptions, botany and specials and well as good doers. He explained the families and name changes and the topic was 'Poppies and mints', how to grow them, place them, conditions etc. His explanation of growing in sand on top of heavy claim was an eye opened for many.

      Delete